calls on net?

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

DAMIAN
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

hi people. does anyone knows anything about making calls on the net?
using programs like SKYPE (http://www.skype.com). i got 52k connection,
could it be a problem?
Jimmys444
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Question! What is want this in "WinMX Discussion" :?: :?: :?:
StorbinC
Nice Guy
Nice Guy

your right it was posted in the wrong place.

we will need to get battye to move it.
sometime u feel like a nut
ImageImage
sometimes you don't
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

MOVED
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

If it was just a 1 on 1 phone call, you could use MSN Messenger Damien
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

VOIP (voice over IP) has been around for a long time now. There are various client programs you can use for this purpose. Data from your computer is encoded at a gateway server and passed through the net to another gateway at the other end of the line which decodes the data and connects you to either an IP address or a telephone number. The results are OK and it can work nicely on a 56kbps connection (I had to use this a lot before I moved to my wife's country!!) The only thing you may notice is that there will probably be some delay between you finishing speaking and the listener responding. This is owing to the encoding and decoding of the voice data in both directions.... you used to be able to see this on 'live' news reports via satellite. As data transfer rates and processor speeds have increased this problem has become less noticeable.

Here's a diagram I stole:

Warning: These services are generally much much cheaper than using the public telephone network but few of them are actually free. Be careful what terms and conditions you are signing up to!

Here's a link....it's not a recommendation cos I've not used this service in 5 years and much may have changed. It's just somewhere to read some more.
http://www.iconnecthere.com/
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

http://lingo.com

$20 a month calling area covers the USA, Canada and W Europe. It can simutaneously ring multiple phone #s, and many other nice features. I am currently only running voip and cell phones. So far so good.

You can have them send u a device, and be committed to a contract..... or buy the dlink router ($100) and then u will get a free month ($20 value) and a $50 rebate on the router. If you say someone suggested lingo to you, you both get $25 towards service.

So if u keep the service in the long run, buying the router will cost u about 5-10 dollars, and no contract.

You can also get the pw to the advanced section and configure the router to use several free services.

BTW its easy to wire your whole house to receive the calls , just run the wire out, into any phone jack. The jacks are bidirectional. If u want a phone there too, just use a splitter.
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh
DAMIAN
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

thanks people
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

I use Skype quite a bit, its by the far the best voice over net program Ive used. The voice quality is unbeatable, specially compared to programs like MSN, TeamSpeak and Venty. If your only on 56kbps dial up then you will be fine as long as you don't host conferences, but for one on one and for convos where a broadband user hosts a 2, 3 or 4 person conference you'll be fine.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I saw this yesterday so I thought I'd throw it in here.
THE idea of using the internet to make free phone calls is getting more popular by the minute. But while "voice over internet protocol" (VoIP) phones can save money, having to use a computer for all your phone calls is hardly convenient. That's about to change with the launch this year of cellphones with built-in Wi-Fi capability that link to low-cost internet connections, and a new breed of landline phone that plugs straight into a broadband internet connection. Together these are expected to be the killer development that brings VoIP into the consumer mainstream.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Vladd44 wrote:http://lingo.com

$20 a month calling area covers the USA, Canada and W Europe. It can simutaneously ring multiple phone #s, and many other nice features. I am currently only running voip and cell phones. So far so good.

You can have them send u a device, and be committed to a contract..... or buy the dlink router ($100) and then u will get a free month ($20 value) and a $50 rebate on the router. If you say someone suggested lingo to you, you both get $25 towards service.

So if u keep the service in the long run, buying the router will cost u about 5-10 dollars, and no contract.

You can also get the pw to the advanced section and configure the router to use several free services.

BTW its easy to wire your whole house to receive the calls , just run the wire out, into any phone jack. The jacks are bidirectional. If u want a phone there too, just use a splitter.
Somehow I managed to miss this post. I got quite excited when I saw it and checked out the web site. I thought I'd be able to reduce my phone bill by about 80% (I make a lot of international calls). Ah well... all is not as it seems, as usual.
The Terms and Conditions wrote:J. Use of Service and Device by Customers Outside the United States:
While we encourage use of the Service within the United States to other countries, Primus does not presently offer or support the Service to customers located in other countries. If you remove the Device to a country other than the United States and use the Service from there, you do so at your own risk, including the risk that such activity violates local laws in the country where you do so.
Vladd44
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

It very well could be worth the effort to try it anyway. I doubt they do a domain check on the ips coming in.

And overall, I really like the service. Only problem I ever have is talking on phone and using bt @ the same time, i have to limit bt ul during conversation
The avalanche has already started, it is to late for the pebbles to vote. - Kosh