Sharing with Select User

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

vintage
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I want to download mp3s from my main computer to my new laptop by using using WinMX like FTP. Is this possible to do?

I read somewhere you can do something like an 'allow' list of users who can download your files. So I would want to tempoarily block everyone except for my laptop, and download the files from my main computer.

If anyone knows how I can go about doing this, I'd love to hear :) Or suggest ways I can transfer files from my computer over to my laptop easily. My cd burner on my computer is not working, and I'm not sure I want to shell out the bucks for a zip drive..

Thanks for any help, I hope my explanation wasn't confusing -_-
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

If your using windows you can transfer files fairly easily , by adding the other computer to you network (theres normally a button My Networks on the XP Start button, that will help you set up a home network and show connections), and allowing file sharing , you will need to know the other computers ID but that is found in the System icon on Control Panel, I,m sure you will need to know more, but hopefully that will point you in the right direction till the knowledgable folks arrive :)
Pop back soon for a better answer :)
Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

Ummm....I'm not sure...why dont u just get a network chord and hook the comps together then transfer that way?
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

You could make an FTP server as you said yourself, or an HTTP webserver using Uniform Server :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
vintage
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Thanks for all the suggestions! :) I had heard of networking but had no idea how to go about it. Both my comp and laptop use XP so I will look more into networking to transfer my files. it seems like the easiet option ^^

thanks again! if you guys reccomend any sites about this, please let me know :)
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

This one looked very helpful Vintage :)

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/wxplanch.htm

Theres more on that site ,depending on how "deep" you wish to go , hope that link helps :D

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articl ... rials/dcc/