WCS - Chat server

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

KM mentioned this snippet of information regarding his WCS chat server.
I might as well let you know how far I am with WCS:
I've got a working chat server with the basic admin system/commands in place, it still needs a bit of work though, mainly on the text in the room (colour/replace/etc) and the User Interface (which so far is a white square...) estimated completion time: between 24 hours and 24 years (I think closer to the second one) :-D
For those using MCS ,this program will be its replacement and is designed to be a more stable release.

Watch this space.. :D
Jimmys444
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

WCS Preview Image:

:D :wink: 8)
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

btw, i case nobody guessed... the user list bit wasn't done then... :-P

(btw, the TSC in the title bar and topic was because freon wanted to test it in there, but a lot of the regs didn't want to, so it was a comprimise... lol)

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

I,m glad the work is progressing well KM , are you working on it by yourself or has it become a team effort ?
Both have their advantages
I think it must be quiet enjoyable to demonstrate the progress ,to those who understand the effort that goes into writing a program and bringing it to a an actual useable release.
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

i always work on my own - i tried making something with someone else before but we just keprt on getting in each others way changing things around and it was taking too long, heh

WinMX World.com - The new help website dedicated completely to WinMX. If you cant find help there, you cant find it anywhere!
Jimmys444
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Also today i search on the KM website! and i read this...:
KM http://www.kingmacro.net/ wrote:I promised WCS at midnight Christmas Morning... so, you got it...
i Attache the Program and the foto of the program when i run it! :D :wink: 8)
Attachments
WinMX Chat Server Version 1.0 Runing In My Computer! ;)
WinMX Chat Server Version 1.0 Runing In My Computer! ;)
WSC.PNG (30.06 KiB) Viewed 16372 times
wcs.zip
WinMX Chat Server Version 1.0
(40.71 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cool Jimmy! Thanks for the link and screenshot!
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
MiTiCo
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I have the problems with WCS has happened that they are exited from the chat and hour I cannot more re-enter... says to me...

[C1] Banned user attempted to enter (80.xxx.xxx.xxx)

Ican resolve?

Excused my English not corrected
Visit my website http://www.p2pzone.net
My workstation primary
Pentium 4 xeon 3.0ghz -- 1 gb RAM -- Ge force 4 TI 4400 - Sound blaster live eax 5.1
Jimmys444
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Hmmm i dont know if anyone see this...:
The WinMX Chat Server is doing automatic updates! and i like this i attached the fotos from WinMX Chat Server program.

EnJoy! :wink:
Attachments
WinMX Chat Server After check, download, install, updates is running.
WinMX Chat Server After check, download, install, updates is running.
Running.PNG (25.15 KiB) Viewed 16341 times
WinMX Chat Server Is installing the updates.
WinMX Chat Server Is installing the updates.
Installing.PNG (16.92 KiB) Viewed 16341 times
WinMX Chat Server Is checking and download updates.
WinMX Chat Server Is checking and download updates.
Check_Download.PNG (19.88 KiB) Viewed 16342 times
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

yep, no problems with users not upgrading if there is some major bug in it like an older version of MCS had...

there are STILL people using that version of MCS even though newer versions where released months ago and they have been told several times they badly need to upgrade

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

you need a black box like winmx, but the auto upgrade will take care of that. good work :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Jimmys444
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

battye wrote:you need a black box like winmx...
Very good idea battye like winmx and notice if it is availiable new updates :D
KM
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

black box, as in make it fire proof, bullet proof, water proof and crist-knows-what-else proof? or as in a box thats been painted black? because i think the second one is slightly cheaper :-D

the idea of simply having it say "there's a new version avalible" doesn't always work, and winmx itself is an example, they have to force upgrades by disabling old versions otherwise people simply dont upgrade (look at how many people still use 3.31!) I am thinking about perhaps putting in the ability to disable auto-update (but enabled by default, and not making it too obvious how to disbable), so rather than automatically update it keeps pestering you until you update...

but having updates as optional can be a small problem, filter the channel list by "TEEN PLANET & CHAT_" if i made the update to prevent someone running 20 WCS's optional, do you think he would go and download it or simply ignore the update? (btw, i'll be setting WCS so if you run multiple copies then only the first copy can list in the next version which will clean up those crappy rooms when i release the next update)

quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

A little snippet of gossip I picked up today :D
Just letting you know I've just put out 1.0.5 (but you'll know that as soon as you restart anyway) cant remember all the things I changed, but I fixed the reload bug (which was due to me having too much to drink while working on 1.0.4) and I've added /bot to the /help menu :-P

I also decided to make ChannelName2 and ChannelName3 only list the name 50% of the time, as a comprimise between people wanting duplicate channel listings and people wanting the feature removed :-)

I also added a help section for WCS at http://www.kingmacro.net/?section=mx&page=wcs if you are a little confused about anything just explains whats in the config a bit more
The help page contains a list of the commands you can use , very useful :)
KM also answered someone elses question about the newline command in WCS .
#NEWLINE# for normal text and a /notice command (2 possible ways to do what you want) are on my to-do list for WCS 1.1 - but until then you can just use multiple responses, but that will show the name for each line of text

Hmm sounds reasonable :?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I suppose you have an ini file for WCS KM? You could have a variable in that, say if AutoUpdates was set to 1, it would download the updates automatically. If it was set to 0, it doesn't download any, but maybe displays it somewhere on the screen. Like in the area where it has the timestamp + 'checking for updates', have a message fixed at the top of that in red, saying new announcement, with a download link. :)