Displaying Selected Thread & Ad on Home Page

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

spora
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Thanks all.

I am new to phpbb and also a novice when it comes to programming. I intend to own a youth forum with this structure:

1. I will like to display selected topics on the front page of the forum. Please see http://www.nairaland.com
2. I also will like to have advert placement on the top, left and right columns of these selected threads on the homepage

Is there a theme/template you can recommend for me please. Or can I have somebody inhouse to do it for me.

Thanking you.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi spora, welcome to CMX :)

Could you please provide a link to your website at the moment? And which selected topics do you want to have - ie. the last couple posted on the entire forum, the last ones posted from a certain area of the forum, etc?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

spora wrote:Please see http://www.nairaland.com
I saw it. It is huge.

It's PHP and MySQL based, and in that respect similar to phpBB but it is otherwise alien to us ... a thing called Simple Machines Forum. In the last ten minutes the site had 1170 guests and 338 registered users. Those are numbers that our little community would tremble at. Still, I dare say someone here (probably battye himself) will have a suggestion or two for you. :)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rat wrote:
spora wrote:Please see http://www.nairaland.com
I saw it. It is huge.

It's PHP and MySQL based, and in that respect similar to phpBB but it is otherwise alien to us ... a thing called Simple Machines Forum. In the last ten minutes the site had 1170 guests and 338 registered users. Those are numbers that our little community would tremble at. Still, I dare say someone here (probably battye himself) will have a suggestion or two for you. :)
I thought the same thing at first Rat, but I don't think that is spora's forum - I think spora wants their forum to look like nairaland.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
spora
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

@Battye,

What I mean is that instead of last post or latest topic or whatever, I just want to display any topic that is of interest on the homepage. For instance, if someone post any news and/or article that I found to be of relevance and want to give prominence, I can just bring it out and have it displayed on the frontpage.

I hope to use external page, precisely joomla for my external home page.

Thanks.