1.4MB/s - never thought I'd see the day

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Due to changes in the plans my ISP offers now, I get 50GB of quota a month and "turbo" speed. Until today in the nearly 7 years I've had cable broadband the fastest download speed I had ever seen was 0.7MB/s - that was an http download off the ISP server in 2004.

Today, I was able to download a 700MB video in about 30 minutes... it should have been faster really, the first 20% took about 20 minutes. I'm still in shock that I was able to hit 1.4MB/s - but I'm sure it is standard in every other country :wink:

The other change appears to be upload speed, since I've had cable my upload speed was capped at a measly 128k. For the first time ever, I was able to upload at over 100kB/s today.

Isn't it a pleasant change to have something good to say about an ISP :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Congratulations on your improved service battye. :) Have fun with it.

EDIT: Out of curiosity - did you mean Mbps (megabits per second) or MBps (megabytes per second)? In the first case..... hurrah, welcome to the Botswana league of poor internet infrastructure (according to some report last year, Poland's infrastructure isn't as good as that in Botswana) or, in the case of the second.... wow!

I ran a few tests today at www.speedtest.net and found that servers in Poznan (where I am) repeatedly gave me worse results than those in Wroclaw (about 100 miles from here). Obviously the results from both were better than from Columbus (Ohio) or Brisbane.... but it surprised me. Anyone know why my local server should be worse than a slightly more distant one?