Browser Wars!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Which Web Browser do you Like?

Internet Explorer
No votes
Mozilla Firefox
67%
Google Chrome
22%
Apple Safari
11%
Opera
No votes
Maxthon
No votes
Knoquorer
No votes
Netscape
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 9
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Edit: Chrome 4 supports greasemonkey so it might be worth looking now.
hehe :P

Why do I not organize my huge pile of software, for the frequency that I change something with my monitor, like bringing it to work or other "adventures" I bring it on, Windows decides to screw all that up so I use the Auto Arrange and surprisingly enough I can find what I'm looking for...most of the time, on the other hand perhaps I should group by color or something, that what really throws me off like DVDFab and uTorrent, Hamachi and iTunes, they almost look the same, which looking through 60 icons (im not sure how many they are but they fill a 17" monitor) can occasionally be a pain, there's no good way to organize them, might just turn the icons of and get them from the start menu...you would think Microsoft would find something better to call it...
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

I've got into the habit of uninstalling software I know I'm not gong to use for a few months and storing it on memory stick (compressed file) and associated removing Registry entries, followed by quick cleanup (I use TuneUp Utilities) and keeps laptop performance high.

Back on browsers. What I like about Firefox now, is that I use Windows Live (yeah, I know it's not the best but have used it for about six years now and never had any real problems with it) as my main email client used to always open in IE, which I found frustrating. Now, my email client opens in a new tab within Firefox. Long while coming that. Don't know if this does same for other browsers.
If you don't ask...
Layzie Bone

I have no idea to be honest, never really got "hooked" Microsoft, I guess that because in grade school we started on Apple IIe :lol:

That and I've been using gmail since 2005...wow its been a while...
moongirl

I'm a very happy Mozilla Firefoxette. Have been for yonks!
This came about after I was an unwitting HDD-crash-test-dummy...while navigating with Netscape!
I know I shouldn't hold a grudge against Netscape...but I do, because I can! :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Layzie Bone

yeah netscape, :vsick: are they still around? didn't one company called seamonkey or something to that nature buy them out?
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Layzie Bone wrote:yeah netscape, :vsick: are they still around? didn't one company called seamonkey or something to that nature buy them out?
I know support for Netscape ended around February 2008. The "reins of Netscape" was handed over to Mozilla and the Netscape "team", when announcing that this browser is ending, suggested for everyone to adopt Firefox. :)
If you don't ask...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I used Netscape many years ago (I found this post on phpBB.com: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 9#p1353609 - so obviously in late 2004 I didn't like Firefox too much... that was before it even hit version 1.0!), it was also the browser I first used back in the 90's long before I had a home internet connection. So I'll always have a soft spot for Netscape.

quahappy is spot on about February 2008. I wrote an article here at CMX about the end of Netscape at the time: http://www.cricketmx.com/articles/read/ ... -netscape/
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Problem is, even today, there are still many who use IE as a default browser and not aware of others. Or some are too scared to switch because it's what they are used to, don't like change, or even realise that installing another browser doesn't "overwrite" IE. Yep, I've been asked that before now!

Can you imagine FF, Chrome, Safari advertising on TV? Im surprised the hasn't happened before now.
If you don't ask...
Layzie Bone

quahappy wrote:Problem is, even today, there are still many who use IE as a default browser and not aware of others. Or some are too scared to switch because it's what they are used to, don't like change, or even realise that installing another browser doesn't "overwrite" IE. Yep, I've been asked that before now!

Can you imagine FF, Chrome, Safari advertising on TV? Im surprised the hasn't happened before now.

Some people don't like change, but the problem I face with customers isn't so much they don't know they don't care, unless it ends up on FOX News...

Funny a while back Microsoft said to use Firefox (not for that reason), but over an exploit in IE's code...

Internet Explorer is like a road that instead of being repaved every now and then, just fills the pot holes over and over again...Although IE9 does look better, so they might have got the idea, let's do it the same way as Windows 7, which I have to hand it Microsoft Windows 7 is a nice piece of work, still not quite as fast as Ubuntu (then again I don't have half the software with Ubuntu, and hardly any of it in the startup).

After all I got 46 days of uptime, look at my sig...

Let's just hope that IE don't make me think of fingernails on the chalkboard...
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

I downloaded IE9 Beta the other day. Just out of curiosity more than anything. First impressions? "Fast". I use that word lightly though. Why? Big boy websites that run on huge servers, yes, I noticed pages loading much quicker than Firefox. When it came to general sites that don't get high amount of traffic (mine, for instance), I couldn't tell much difference in page load speed.

Anyhow. After doing some more surfing, IE9 beta crashed. Restarted it, then it crashed again. That was it. Couldn't get it started any more. So I had to uninstall and revert back to IE8 - which rarely gets used anyway. Obviously a glitch that I hope MS are aware of being beta and all that.

I'm still sticking with Firefox. ;)
If you don't ask...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

quahappy wrote:I'm still sticking with Firefox. ;)
Me too. Also, as I've been experimenting a little with Firesheep, I'd most definitely recommend installing the HTTPS Everywhere extension, especially for those people that use public WiFi a lot. It's pretty terrifying how simple it is to get your cookies "sidejacked" and possibly even more terrifying that major websites have done so little to prevent it.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rat wrote:
Me too. Also, as I've been experimenting a little with Firesheep, I'd most definitely recommend installing the HTTPS Everywhere extension, especially for those people that use public WiFi a lot. It's pretty terrifying how simple it is to get your cookies "sidejacked" and possibly even more terrifying that major websites have done so little to prevent it.
Have you tried BlackSheep? (http://www.informationweek.com/news/sec ... d_IWK_News#) It is supposed to alert you if it detects someone using FireSheep. Does FireSheep only snoop on certain websites like Facebook and Twitter etc, or also things like blogs and forums?

I realise the risk has always been present using more traditional packet sniffing techniques, but this new add-on really does highlight it to the masses. I can't believe Mozilla have kept an add-on online that essentially promotes this sort of activity.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Rat wrote:
WRT Cookies in general: In Firefox Tools > Options... I have selected "Ask me every time" for Cookies. I don't often stray from my Bookmarks. Quite interesting though because yesterday I visited a reputable site and no less then 23 prompts asking me to Deny, Allow, or Allow Cookies for session! Ridiculous amount. Most of them were 3rd party. I tend to Deny them all although doing so can prevent you viewing a site's contents in which case Allow for session is better option.

Must admit, my browser has been running a lot quicker and more responsive since denying cookies and keeping those i only need. Proven fact that too many of these has a detrimental effect on browser performance so always best to clear them out once in a while.

I also have a Tracking Cookie blocker (comes with my all-in-one security software). :)
If you don't ask...
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Anyone read what Firefox 4 promises to deliver? I'm liking sound of it. :)
If you don't ask...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

quahappy wrote:Anyone read what Firefox 4 promises to deliver? I'm liking sound of it. :)
A friend of mine has installed the beta and is very happy with it. I'm considering doing that too.

[EDIT] The above was my first forum post of the day. After making it I installed the beta of Firefox 4 and then went on to do the rest of my forum posting. I'm doing this edit as a parting-shot. I have to say that...... Firefox 4 rocks! Mostly. That is to say that it has some really cool new features and looks better too. Most importantly it is stacks faster than versions 2 and 3. My only grumble at the moment is that nearly all of my add-ons are disabled in this version and are listed as incompatible. That may be temporary - lets face it, the development team aren't going to want complications being reported that arise from bugs in third party add-ons; they want to know what's going on in the program itself.
My advice? Install and try the beta today!!