Browser Wars!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Which Web Browser do you Like?

Internet Explorer
No votes
Mozilla Firefox
67%
Google Chrome
22%
Apple Safari
11%
Opera
No votes
Maxthon
No votes
Knoquorer
No votes
Netscape
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 9
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Let the game begin!

What browser do you use or prefer?

Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox
Google Chrome
Apple Safari
Opera
Maxthon
Knoquorer
Other
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I use Safari :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

Yeah, I didn't bother to say what browser I use.,...I use Google Chrome, seems to work pretty well on just about everything except my bank... But I can say it is certianly faster than Firefox and IE, definitely IE.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Firefox.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I use Firefox for my dad-to-day use and Opera for a second gmail address and some things I plan to read eventually.
Galeon is handy if I want to test a page that might be dangerous and crash my tabs. And, for me, Konqueror is only for file system, ftp, file over ssh, or pretending to be IE for some broken websites.

I've finally started using Windows in a virtual machine, so I'm playing with Chrome a little bit. It's not bad, but I've gotten used to my keyboard shortcuts. Not all of them carry over nicely.
Layzie Bone

nesman wrote:I use Firefox for my dad-to-day use and Opera for a second gmail address and some things I plan to read eventually.
Galeon is handy if I want to test a page that might be dangerous and crash my tabs. And, for me, Konqueror is only for file system, ftp, file over ssh, or pretending to be IE for some broken websites.

I've finally started using Windows in a virtual machine, so I'm playing with Chrome a little bit. It's not bad, but I've gotten used to my keyboard shortcuts. Not all of them carry over nicely.
They do have a beta version of Chrome for Linux, I triedit on my Ubuntu machines and it works great...
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

It wasn't so stable on mine the last time I tried it. But, that was a while back and I was already several versions of Kubuntu old at the time.
Layzie Bone

nesman wrote:It wasn't so stable on mine the last time I tried it. But, that was a while back and I was already several versions of Kubuntu old at the time.
I wonder when they'll have an official version...what's cool it seems that crhome (linux in general) runs much faster compared to the windows version...

Only thing I can say about linux (I'm not trying to turn this into a linux thread), is it defintely seems to benefit machines with less processing power, though it definitely utilizes what's there more, I can say that the CPU usage is much higher than windows, but things happen a little quicker, and uses much less memory than windows by a long shot...
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Firefox. For it's stability, reliability, security, speed and abundant of excellent add-ons.

If I had to pick a second and third, they would be:

2. Safari
3. IE

Only because when I'm coding in HTML, I have to check that layout is consistent between browsers. Safari gives me no problems. As for IE, it can be a right PITA. IE should come free with pain-killers! Of course, that's just my humble opinion. ;)

Note: Firefox does have an add-on called IE tab that allows you to see how your web page displayed in IE will look with just one click and then switch back to Firefox. However, it hasn't been updated for FF 3.6.3. :(
If you don't ask...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

quahappy wrote:However, it hasn't been updated for FF 3.6.3. :(
Lots of things weren't. Java handling in particular. 3.6.* is unstable for many users.
I, amongst many, downgraded to 3.5.9 to wait for a fix.
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Rat wrote:
Lots of things weren't. Java handling in particular. 3.6.* is unstable for many users.
It is annoying. Especially as I always avoid FF beta versions for this reason (add-on updates not immediately being available). Normally, add-ons get updated as soon as next FF update is released. Mind you, has been quite a few updates over the past couple of months.... developers probably can't keep up! Ooh 'eck. Am I knocking FF here?! Shame on me.

Rollback is in order I guess. ;)
If you don't ask...
Layzie Bone

quahappy wrote:
Rat wrote:
It is annoying. Especially as I always avoid FF beta versions for this reason (add-on updates not immediately being available). Normally, add-ons get updated as soon as next FF update is released. Mind you, has been quite a few updates over the past couple of months.... developers probably can't keep up! Ooh 'eck. Am I knocking FF here?! Shame on me.

Rollback is in order I guess. ;)
There's always chrome, at first I hated it but now there is no other...and I'm sorry to say in a speed comparison chrome smokes firefox....chrome is the camaro of browsers, and i don't know about you but I'm impatient :lol:
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

I tried Chrome when first released. Wasn't overly impressed and feedback from Joe Bloggs was negative (buggy and more). A lot's changed since as Google is never one to ignore complaints and yes, I've heard that speed is excellent. Firefox is too but can start slowing down if too many add-ons installed.

I should really make the effort, download Chrome and take a tour. Without looking, does Chrome allow for add-ons? Ad-Block, FireFTP, etc? My wife uses a Moderator plug-in for Freegle which is only available for IE and FF so wouldn't be able to use any other browser.

I like the Safari default page where it shows recent websitea visited in a panorama view. Unless that's changed since I last used it.
If you don't ask...
Layzie Bone

quahappy wrote:I tried Chrome when first released. Wasn't overly impressed and feedback from Joe Bloggs was negative (buggy and more). A lot's changed since as Google is never one to ignore complaints and yes, I've heard that speed is excellent. Firefox is too but can start slowing down if too many add-ons installed.

I should really make the effort, download Chrome and take a tour. Without looking, does Chrome allow for add-ons? Ad-Block, FireFTP, etc? My wife uses a Moderator plug-in for Freegle which is only available for IE and FF so wouldn't be able to use any other browser.

I like the Safari default page where it shows recent websitea visited in a panorama view. Unless that's changed since I last used it.
Yup you can do add ons, you can even make it look pretty :lol: I think the only thing I have used is the ad block but it's not like Chrome's ad blocking that's built in doesn't work, and with all the places I have been there's only been one website that doesn't work, which isn't bad...I'll cringe and use IE for the one site, since I can't foresee installing (yet) another browser even though it probably wouldn't hurt a thing...

but you see with all this software, turns web browsing into a hunting game...
Attachments
happy hunting...
happy hunting...
desktop.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 6875 times
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Layzie Bone wrote:Yup you can do add ons, you can even make it look pretty :lol: I think the only thing I have used is the ad block but it's not like Chrome's ad blocking that's built in doesn't work, and with all the places I have been there's only been one website that doesn't work, which isn't bad...I'll cringe and use IE for the one site, since I can't foresee installing (yet) another browser even though it probably wouldn't hurt a thing...

but you see with all this software, turns web browsing into a hunting game...
I have ** a lot ** of add ons for FF which is why I'm not playing with Chrome. Flickr on my machine looks nothing like the usual version most folks see as I've got so many greasemonkey scripts installed. For example, I like to be able to read EXIF data from photos without having to go looking for it, so my FF displays it right there on each flickr photo page. Yay! I'm also allergic to posting photos to groups, one group at a time, and I don't like waiting for Organizr.... so, greasemonkey again. Yay! etc etc etc.

As for your huge pile of software, Layzie, did you consider organising it into groups? I have very icons on my desktop. I have 3 toolbars down at the bottom of my screen where all my commonly used programs are hidden according to type.... photo, web and others. I find stuff very easily. 8)

Edit: Chrome 4 supports greasemonkey so it might be worth looking now.