Corrupt Master File Table

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

solarloon
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

:( the master file table on one of my harddrives has become corrupt.
Can anyone please tell me if there is a way for me to retrieve the data that was on it? i tried a ntfs boot disk, but it didnt recognize the drive. I was in the process of adding another hdd when it happened, switched ide cords and jumpers in every conceivable combination,but there werent any other problems and all the other hdd are still working fine. specs are xp home, 512 ram,2.6 g p4. ill try the boot disk again later. Any suggestions?
thanks
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you are screwed. Me personally I would do a low level format on the bad drive and start over.
ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

Sounds pretty bad!
I am sure that Grinch is correct in his assumption. Should just start from scratch on that drive.
The Monthly world, daily struggle!
solarloon
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Dang. Thanks for the replies. Me goes to cry now.
solarloon
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

The next day all my video files from the other 3 hdd (app 300g) were corrupt and unreadable. its all backed up but itll be a pain in the arse
to move that much from disk back to hdd. i wonder what in the world i did to screw everything up so bad. any ideas?? anyway, looks like time for a quadruple reformat and a c drive swap. yeehaw :twisted:
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Perhaps it was a mouse related incident?

See this.
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

You could try to install winodws on a different harddisk and then run tools like diskeeper on the corrupt one to see if it can be fixed.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

There are file recovery tools out there, but I don't know much about them. You're probably better off just starting over.

The second disk going bad is strange. You might want to try a scan with a new antivirus.