Spam Bots

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

They keep getting through the foruns. I have the Verification Code stuf turned on, either they have a script that can read the numbers, or they're real people. Either way they're a nuisence. Question, what domains, emails, should I just go ahead and block, rather than drag this out over a period of who knows. Because if I do get popular it will become harder to identify, it's easy right now as I have like 5 people.

Also, about my domain, does it make a difference whether or not it is a private registration or not, that might have something to do with the spambots, perhaps? I didn't want to spend the extra money, but if it means my site being spammed to allmighty hell, then I'll cough up the doe.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nothing to do with the domain or anything, it's just that the visual confirmation is quite weak and the bots can get through it. Banning emails or domains won't do anything.
To stop bots, you need to install a MOD: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 1&t=427852
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

Ah ha! Thank you Battye.

One question, phpBB has come out with 2.0.23 (I have 2.0.22), A. Is it worth the upgrade, and B. Will it effect the MOD? (Obviously I know that if I want the MOD, do it after the upgrade)
Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone wrote:Ah ha! Thank you Battye.

One question, phpBB has come out with 2.0.23 (I have 2.0.22), A. Is it worth the upgrade, and B. Will it effect the MOD? (Obviously I know that if I want the MOD, do it after the upgrade)
Apparently I answered my own question by reading that link, and basically the MOD is built in, basically they say it blocks "old" bots....
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Layzie Bone wrote:
Layzie Bone wrote:Ah ha! Thank you Battye.

Apparently I answered my own question by reading that link, and basically the MOD is built in, basically they say it blocks "old" bots....
Not sure what you mean by built in, but the MOD I suggest is The Humanizer and it will still work with 2.0.23 (it is quite a small MOD). Of course, do the upgrade first (yes, you need to upgrade) and then install the MOD :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

Cool beans :) Thanks battye!