Non-English Characters?

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

justbishop
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Hi :) I have a language exchange site that I'm using the UQ mod on, and I have one issue...I have native Japanese, Chinese, Russian, etc. speakers that would love to contribute quizzes for people learning those languages, but when they create quizzes in their languages' respective alphabet characters, it posts all weird.

Is there a code change/addition that I can do to make the UQ mod capable of handling this?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to this one, I don't know too much about encoding. Sorry :cry:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
justbishop
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

eek :(
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

probably could look up and see how phpbb deals with non-english boards and see how they encode thier stuff....just a thought....
justbishop
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

yeah, I looked at the encoding field in the forum title and description tables of the db, as I have non-latin characters in both ofthose locations displaying no problem, but they're set to the sam encoding as the quiz tables.

I also tried changing the encoding in the lang_main.php file to "ut8" or whatever it is (unicode 8?), but that didn't help either :/

Other than that, Idon't think I know enough php to be able to figure it out, lol
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

justbishop wrote:yeah, I looked at the encoding field in the forum title and description tables of the db, as I have non-latin characters in both ofthose locations displaying no problem, but they're set to the sam encoding as the quiz tables.

I also tried changing the encoding in the lang_main.php file to "ut8" or whatever it is (unicode 8?), but that didn't help either :/

Other than that, Idon't think I know enough php to be able to figure it out, lol
Well, that was the only thing I thought of, maybe try setting the encoding of the quiz text table to utf8? Naturally, before doing anything to the database you should back up first. :)

By the way, welcome to the forum justbishop :) Please do drop by OT Forum and join in the fun :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
justbishop
Greenhorn
Greenhorn