Is it possible to display one question per page?

All web design discussion, including Ultimate Quiz MOD support.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

bammxx
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Hello

Is it possible to display one question per page while taking quiz?

thanks
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, that feature was removed several years ago.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hello, battye. Is there any reason to remove this feature?
In fact, many of our certification online test need this ...
Can one admin option be added for choosing between the 2 styles?
Thanks!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, sorry.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

battye wrote:No, sorry.
Thanks the same way. :)
While could you pls tell me which old version have that feature? I just would like to have a check. Thanks again.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, I think 0.6.6 had it?

I would strongly recommend against using it though. There was a very good reason why I removed it (because if people left half way through the quiz it caused all sorts of problems), so it really isn't a good idea to go and use 0.6.6.

Not to mention how old it is, it may not be all that secure now (~3 years old?)

xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

By "all sorts of problems", do you mean transaction handling? Or memory consuming? Or?
I think perhaps we could improve, since I saw moodle (moodle.org) project got that feature and seems work well. While moodle is too too big, and make things worse ...
xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I know some formal online testing system must show one question per page because they want testers take the quiz one by one sequencely ..
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mainly people trying to get around the system.

For instance, if you record the number of correct & incorrect through post data, then people would falsify this by making their own post data, hence 100% all of the time.

To get around this, I made it database driven, and recorded the number of correct and incorrect answers in the user row of the users table.

Unfortunately, this meant any users leaving the quiz half way through, then had values that weren't NULL next time they came to play a quiz, which caused problems, in that there were, say, 4 correct and 11 incorrect for a 10 question quiz. (suppose, 1 correct and 4 incorrect from the previous quiz they left half way through...).

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

xzc wrote:I know some formal online testing system must show one question per page because they want testers take the quiz one by one sequencely ..
Was it flash based? Java perhaps?

I remember it wasn't ideal using PHP only. Bear in mind, this was a few years ago, so perhaps things would be a little easier now.

xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

battye wrote:Mainly people trying to get around the system.

For instance, if you record the number of correct & incorrect through post data, then people would falsify this by making their own post data, hence 100% all of the time.

To get around this, I made it database driven, and recorded the number of correct and incorrect answers in the user row of the users table.

Unfortunately, this meant any users leaving the quiz half way through, then had values that weren't NULL next time they came to play a quiz, which caused problems, in that there were, say, 4 correct and 11 incorrect for a 10 question quiz. (suppose, 1 correct and 4 incorrect from the previous quiz they left half way through...).
OK, Let me have a further thinking of this and then reply to you ..
Thanks!
xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think we could add a flag (not sure if it is already such a column in the table), called "valid_flag", the default value could be 0, means invalid.
Once testers start a quiz, then only at the final step, which means he clicked the "submit" button, then this value changed to 1, which means a valid quiz taken by testers.
When next time the tester wants to take the same quiz again, then we should first check the valid_flag is 1...
Not sure if I stated my ideas clearly... :)

Also, How can adjust my current quiz page settings?
Since I would like to have the following style:

question 1, ....
a, it is something 1
b, it is something 2
c, it is something 3
d, it is something 4

question 2, ....
a, it is something 21
b, it is something 22
c, it is something 23
d, it is something 24

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your method does sound okay, but it wouldn't work if a user quits the quiz half way through and then tried to return to it later.

Also, how would you keep track of the number of correct and incorrect answers? :)
Also, How can adjust my current quiz page settings?
Since I would like to have the following style:

question 1, ....
a, it is something 1
b, it is something 2
c, it is something 3
d, it is something 4

question 2, ....
a, it is something 21
b, it is something 22
c, it is something 23
d, it is something 24
I'm sorry, I don't understand :(

xzc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

battye wrote:Your method does sound okay, but it wouldn't work if a user quits the quiz half way through and then tried to return to it later.

Also, how would you keep track of the number of correct and incorrect answers? :)
If user quits the quiz half way, then if he tried to return back and continue, we will think it is invalid, which means, once user quit the quiz, then he can not resume ...
Or, improve it: we could add a parameter called quiz_timeout, if quiz_timeout is 5 mins, then user be back within 5 mins, then it is ok. Otherwise, user can not resume the current quiz. By this way, we can avoid some problems such as network down for just a while ...
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

That still doesn't resolve the issue of tracking correct and incorrect answers.

There will still be discrepancies in the database.