Backdoor.Beasty.I

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Joshua
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Backdoor.Beasty.I
Discovered on: August 10, 2004
Last Updated on: August 11, 2004 11:07:05 AM

Backdoor.Beasty.I is a backdoor Trojan horse that allows an attacker complete access to an infected computer. The Trojan listens on TCP port 9999 and notifies the attacker through ICQ.

Type: Trojan Horse
Infection Length: 30,935 bytes

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows XP
Systems Not Affected: DOS, Linux, Macintosh, Macintosh OS X, OS/2, UNIX

Wild

Number of infections: 0 - 49
Number of sites: 0 - 2
Geographical distribution: Low
Threat containment: Easy
Removal: Easy
Threat Metrics

Wild:
Low
Damage:
Medium
Distribution:
Low

Damage

Payload Trigger: n/a
Payload: n/a
Large scale e-mailing: n/a
Deletes files: n/a
Modifies files: n/a
Degrades performance: n/a
Causes system instability: n/a
Releases confidential info: n/a
Compromises security settings: Opens a backdoor, allowing unauthorized remote access.
Distribution

Subject of email: n/a
Name of attachment: n/a
Size of attachment: n/a
Time stamp of attachment: n/a
Ports: TCP 9999
Shared drives: n/a
Target of infection: n/a

When Backdoor.Beasty.I runs, it performs the following actions:

Copies the following files to the %System% folder:

mspuep.com
mslg.blf

Note: %System% is a variable that refers to the System folder. By default this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\Winnt\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).

Copies the file, e-gold.exe, to the %Windir% folder:

Note: %Windir% is a variable that refers to the Windows installation folder. By default, this is C:\Windows or C:\Winnt.

Copies itself as %Windir%\msagent\msdrce.com.

Note: Under some operating systems, such as Windows 2000, the file may be copied to the %System% folder instead.

May add the value:

"COM Service"="%Windir%\msagent\msdrce.com"

to the registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run

Creates the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{42CE4021-DE03-E3CC-EA32-40BB12E6015D}

Uses ICQ to notify the author that the Trojan is running.

Opens TCP port 9999 and waits for a commands from the attacker.

The attacker may perform any of the following actions on the compromised system:

Upload, download, and delete files
Manipulate file attributes (Hidden, System, Read-only)
Launch applications
Modify the registry
Kill processes
Perform screen captures
Perform various nuisance actions such as opening and closing the CD-ROM drive

Symantec Security Response encourages all users and administrators to adhere to the following basic security "best practices":

Turn off and remove unneeded services. By default, many operating systems install auxiliary services that are not critical, such as an FTP server, telnet, and a Web server. These services are avenues of attack. If they are removed, blended threats have less avenues of attack and you have fewer services to maintain through patch updates.
If a blended threat exploits one or more network services, disable, or block access to, those services until a patch is applied.
Always keep your patch levels up-to-date, especially on computers that host public services and are accessible through the firewall, such as HTTP, FTP, mail, and DNS services.
Enforce a password policy. Complex passwords make it difficult to crack password files on compromised computers. This helps to prevent or limit damage when a computer is compromised.
Configure your email server to block or remove email that contains file attachments that are commonly used to spread viruses, such as .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr files.
Isolate infected computers quickly to prevent further compromising your organization. Perform a forensic analysis and restore the computers using trusted media.
Train employees not to open attachments unless they are expecting them. Also, do not execute software that is downloaded from the Internet unless it has been scanned for viruses. Simply visiting a compromised Web site can cause infection if certain browser vulnerabilities are not patched.

The following instructions pertain to all current and recent Symantec antivirus products, including the Symantec AntiVirus and Norton AntiVirus product lines.

Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
Update the virus definitions.
Restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Backdoor.Beasty.I.
Delete the value that was added to the registry.
For specific details on each of these steps, read the following instructions.

1. To disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP)
If you are running Windows Me or Windows XP, we recommend that you temporarily turn off System Restore. Windows Me/XP uses this feature, which is enabled by default, to restore the files on your computer in case they become damaged. If a virus, worm, or Trojan infects a computer, System Restore may back up the virus, worm, or Trojan on the computer.

Windows prevents outside programs, including antivirus programs, from modifying System Restore. Therefore, antivirus programs or tools cannot remove threats in the System Restore folder. As a result, System Restore has the potential of restoring an infected file on your computer, even after you have cleaned the infected files from all the other locations.

Also, a virus scan may detect a threat in the System Restore folder even though you have removed the threat.

For instructions on how to turn off System Restore, read your Windows documentation, or one of the following articles:
"How to disable or enable Windows Me System Restore"
"How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore"

Note: When you are completely finished with the removal procedure and are satisfied that the threat has been removed, re-enable System Restore by following the instructions in the aforementioned documents.

For additional information, and an alternative to disabling Windows Me System Restore, see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article, "Antivirus Tools Cannot Clean Infected Files in the _Restore Folder," Article ID: Q263455.

2. To update the virus definitions
Symantec Security Response fully tests all the virus definitions for quality assurance before they are posted to our servers. There are two ways to obtain the most recent virus definitions:
Running LiveUpdate, which is the easiest way to obtain virus definitions: These virus definitions are posted to the LiveUpdate servers once each week (usually on Wednesdays), unless there is a major virus outbreak. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by LiveUpdate, refer to the Virus Definitions (LiveUpdate).
Downloading the definitions using the Intelligent Updater: The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are posted on U.S. business days (Monday through Friday). You should download the definitions from the Symantec Security Response Web site and manually install them. To determine whether definitions for this threat are available by the Intelligent Updater, refer to the Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater).

The Intelligent Updater virus definitions are available: Read "How to update virus definition files using the Intelligent Updater" for detailed instructions.

3. To restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode

Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or VGA mode.
For Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, or XP users, restart the computer in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."
For Windows NT 4 users, restart the computer in VGA mode.

4. To scan for and delete the infected files
Start your Symantec antivirus program and make sure that it is configured to scan all the files.
For Norton AntiVirus consumer products: Read the document, "How to configure Norton AntiVirus to scan all files."
For Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise products: Read the document, "How to verify that a Symantec Corporate antivirus product is set to scan all files."
Run a full system scan.
If any files are detected as infected with Backdoor.Beasty.I, click Delete.

Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete an infected file, Windows may be using the file. To fix this, run the scan in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode." Once you have restarted in Safe mode, run the scan again.

(After the files are deleted, you can leave the computer in Safe mode and proceed with section 4. When that is done, restart the computer in Normal mode.)

5. To delete the value from the registry

Important: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry," for instructions.

Click Start > Run.
Type regedit

Then click OK.

Navigate to the following key and delete it:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{42CE4021-DE03-E3CC-EA32-40BB12E6015D}

Navigate to the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run
KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\Run

In the right pane, delete the value, if present:

"COM Service"="%Windir%\msagent\msdrce.com"

Exit the Registry Editor

:| No well-behaved person ever changed the world. :|