My printer won't work!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have a Lexmark X73 and it seems to install ok, I just can't use it :?

Every time I attempt to print something, it tells me I need to install a printer, which I have already done.

Any ideas?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have you tried using new drivers. Check out Lexmark's website to see if there is a newer driver available. You probably already did this but it is all I have to offer.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Haven't tried any new drivers. I forgot to add, I installed it two days ago and it printing fine. I open it today and try to print and nothing happens :?

So I reinstall, and it seems to have installed, and then I get the errors above :x
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quite odd. Try the new drivers. See what that does. Check the faq section also, you never know someone else could be having the same problem.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

What OS are your running? There are no drivers for XP :cry: The knowledge base sucks. Is this connected through a usb port or parallel? Looks like a cool printer though.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

XP :cry:
Connected though USB 2
It is a cool printer 8)

Would be even cooler if it worked

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Go to your system properties and make sure your USB ports are good.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

It can read that the Printer/Scanner is online. When I turn it on, the cross in the system tray disappears :?

I think it has to be a software related thing :(

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Uninstall it, go through your registry and delete anything related to Lexmark(be careful doing this) then reinstall.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registry? *gulp* :(
Don't access that through regedit in Run?

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes. then click run the find. Type in Lexmark and hit enter. If you are unsure don't do it. Just delete any keys referring to lexmark. I do this and have only screwed up once. This ensures that it is gone completely from your system. Then you push F3 to find next.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huh? :?

I've never edited my registry before and I'm totally unsure what to do!

Is there a way to back it up beforehand? And then is there a way to restore it?

:? :? :? :? :?

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes you can back it up. Click on file then export and put the reg files in a folder. If you screw it up just import the saved files back into your registry.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I'm not game enough to do it now.. I'll do it when I'm awake :lol:

Thanks for the help :)

jctoad
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

If you are still having problems and don't want to mess with the registry, you can do a restore point back to a time when it did work. You will just have to reinstall any apps that you have installed since the restore point. It might fix it and if it doesn't you can go back to the future to the current restore point.
Don't count your toads until they're running around with their heads cut off.