Safer Internet Day 2011

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

Safer Internet Day - Tuesday February 8, 2011
quahappy wrote:Old news in a way but still proves how many parents out there are unaware of the dangers and perils of the internet, chat rooms, etc there children are getting into to. I'm a strong believer that it IS the parents duty to ensure PC's are "locked down" so any form of websites, like chat rooms, can not be accessed, or at all browsing done under supervision. It is actually a sad fact, that a lot of children know more on how to use a computer than parents. My kids get an hour a day (not everyday) and this time is only to be used for school work and nothing else. If they want to chat - they have there brothers, sisters and friends to talk to. If they want to play games, they have there DS's, Wii and other toys.

I still don't think enough information is out there that needs to be given direct to parents who know very little of PC's and the Internet to explain in English how to protect there children.
51% of kids surf the web unsupervised

New guidelines to protect young web users

Carrie-Ann Skinner

More than half of teens frequently surf the web without any supervision, according to a study from MSN.

The research into the online habits of 20,000 14-19 years olds in Europe also revealed that 29 percent of teenage web users admitted they had been bullied online.

"We were surprised that it's over 50 percent without any parental control," said John Mangelaars, head of Microsoft's consumer and online divisions in Europe.

"They [teens] still need help and guidance on how to tackle emerging issues such as online bullying," added Mangelaars.

Visit Broadband Advisor for the latest internet news, reviews, tips & tricks - and to take advantage of PC Advisor's unique, independent Broadband Speed Tester

The research comes as the European Commission unveiled new safety guidelines designed to protect youngsters online. The guidelines, unveiled today to mark the sixth Safer Internet Day, have been signed by a number of websites popular with teens, including social networking sites Facebook, Bebo and video-sharing site YouTube.

By signing the agreement, the firms have agreed to implement steps that protect youngsters, such as including a 'Report Abuse' button online, and making the profiles of under 18s private by default.

EU Commissioner for information society and media, Viviane Reding, said the agreement was "an important step forward towards making our children's clicks on social networking sites safer in Europe".

"I will closely monitor the implementation of today's agreement and the Commission will come back to this matter in a year's time," she added.

Source: PC Advisor - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=110647&
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.p ... 467#p95467
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I personally think this is a very good thing. I went to great lengths to remove every possible means of accessing the internet, or even our home network, from my son's computer.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Australian Government got behind this initiative as well: http://www.cybersmart.gov.au/sid2011.aspx
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)