[Poll] Which Operating System are you running? 2011 Edition!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Which Operating System are you running?

Windows XP
33%
Windows Vista
8%
Windows 7
42%
Mac OS X
8%
Linux (any distribution)
8%

Total votes: 12
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was programming something today and got to thinking about operating systems... I think I made this topic about 7 years ago, but there have been a few OS releases since then so it's probably time for a revival :)

So 2011 edition... which operating system are you running? (you can select multiple answers if you use more than one)

I'll get the ball rolling, most of the time I use a Mac although now and then I switch to the other operating systems (XP for some live sports streams, Ubuntu for some web development stuff, etc) :)

What do you use?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

I'm using XP Pro SP3, I might install 7 after I RMA a 2Tb HDD I bought on Nov. 30 at the end of this month. I'll have to wait til I get it back so I can back up my files before installing 7.
moongirl

XP Pro and Windows 7 for me :)
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

I'm running Windows XP Media Edition. I would like to learn Linux. It just seems I have no time for such things. :\
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

When you have the time to jump into Linux Garmy, probably Slax (article) is a good place to start as it is bootable from a USB drive :) That way you can trial it and get a feel for it without spending too much time downloading, configuring, etc :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I had to vote vista (I see I'm the only one) as both my laptop and my wife's are running the damn thing. Our son has an XP based netbook. My previous PC wasn't a bit happy with life and started looking as though it wanted to commit suicide. It was, therefore, retired to the attic but it may come out of hibernation to be a linux box as I miss playing with linux. :( That machine was primarily XP based but, during it's working lifetime, it also had good old mandrake and the later variety - mandriva, as well as suse and ubuntu installed on it. Ubuntu worked best, I think, but I prefered the look and feel of suse.
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Windows 7 here although my wife's laptop is Vista. I much prefer W7 over Vista. I play a lot of old PC games including emulation (old home computers/consoles) and rarely have any issues with backward compatibility whereas Vista was a flipping nightmare. :)
If you don't ask...
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

On this big rig that has been running for an entire month without a reboot (see signature)...is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Only other OS I use is on my phone, android OS (which is Linux)...can't say I have played around with much Linux lately, haven't had spare money to build a Linux box...or the space...