Using Windows Keyboards - f functions, ctrl, logo, alt...

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

An in depth look at using a Windows keyboard
I use quite a few ctrl and f functions without ever really thinking about them.
I went looking for more information to expand my list and found this site.
It is aimed at teachers using computers, but looking around the site there is a great deal more to be found,
brain teasers, quotes, trivia etc.
It really is worth looking at the extensive lists of functions.
I have several that I use frequently that I haven't noticed on the list:
Ctrl B - brings up my bookmarks
Ctrl F - to find something on a page
Ctrl T - opens a new tab

Have a look you may find something you don't know at:
Internet4lassrooms
http://www.internet4classrooms.com/winkeyboard.htm
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Useful guide that moon. Many people I know are still unaware of keyboard shortcuts.

Common keys I use:

Ctrl and F - Find text on page
Ctrl and + - increases browser text size
F5 - refresh browser page
Prt Scrn - print screen
If you don't ask...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I rather like alt-tab to switch between windows and also alt-F4 to close them. I used to find that useful long ago.... annoying IRC newbies were always far too keen to do damage to be cautious. They want to try to take channels, the regulars want to get rid of them. Simple solution, tell them that alt-F4 will give them operator status and *poof* all gone. Their IRC is instantly closed and they're gone long enough to set a ban. :D
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Depending on your browser, slash "/" starts searching, and F3 works as "find next"
To minimize all of your windows, Win+D or Win+M
If you hit it again before you open anything, all of your windows come back up.

F11 will fullscreen your browser
F6 puts focus on your address bar, then you can tab once or twice to get the search box in newer browsers.

Ctrl Esc will open the Start menu
Ctrl Shift Esc will open your Task Manager

Using a touchpad is good motivation to learn your shortcuts. :)
moongirl

F1 Key (Windows XP & Internet Explorer) Alert - March 2010
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.p ... 63#p100463
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Well lets see I use these quite often...

If you have Windows XP and the standard start menu and fast user switching enabled (default) you can shut down or reboot by pressing 3 keys. Logo key, U, U (shutdown), or Logo Key, U, R (restart)

naturally the basics.

CTRL + C (Copy) (This also breaks some commands in command prompt, such as ping -t)
CTRL + V (Paste)
CTRL + A (Select All)
CTRL + ESC (Start Menu, for keyboard lacking the Logo Key)
CTRL + X (Cut)
CTRL + Z (Undo)
CTRL + Y (Redo [select applications])
CTRL + B (Boldface Text)
CTRL + I (Italics)
CTRL + U (Underline Text)
CTRL + P (Print)
ALT + TAB (Switch Between Windows)
Logo Key + Tab (Switch Between Windows 3D, Windows Vista/7 Only)
ALT + F4 (Close Foreground Window)
Logo Key + M (Minimize All Windows)

I'm sure I missed some, but those are most that I do use, and when I do use them I'm usually at work, not to say I don't use them as home, but less often...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Well folks, quite by accident I found a table of shortcuts on wikipedia this week. You can find the table here. When I say I found it by accident, I mean I was actually looking for a table of ascii shortcuts, codes using alt+ some number or other to produce a symbol. For example, alt + 0176 will give you a ° and alt + 0153 gives ™ (use the number keypad with num lock turned on and use a full keyboard, don't use the top row cos it doesn't work).

Try this: alt +0126 alt+0126 alt+40 alt+0168 alt+094 alt+0176 alt+62

˜~~(­¨^°>

alt+58 alt+41
Layzie Bone

Now that there used to work in WinMX chatrooms, but I think they used a 3 digit number instead of 4...but interesting to say the least...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Layzie Bone wrote:Now that there used to work in WinMX chatrooms, but I think they used a 3 digit number instead of 4...but interesting to say the least...
If you look closely, you'll see that not all the codes I gave are 4 digits. There are two that have just 2 digits. If you are interested to know what the codes are, and why some have 1,2,3 or even 4 digits, you could do worse than consulting this page. You'll find a chart about half way down with very many ASCII codes. At the top of each column it says where each code comes from. For example ♫ is alt+14 from the original IBM-OEM series while € comes from alt+0128 from ANSI Extended ASCII.

Folks, a small qualifier..... I've noticed that while playing with ASCII not all the codes show what you might expect. This, from the results of my initial tinkering, seems to stem from having multiple keyboard layouts installed. If, like me, you use more than one [I use English (UK), English (US), Polish (Programmers) and Polish (214)] keyboard layouts, you may find that the ASCII codes sometimes produce things you didn't expect. I guess it is possible that the shortcuts shown in the tables you can find online (like the one linked above) were described by folks using a different layout. Multilingual tables might be a good idea..... but I'm too lazy to do it.
Layzie Bone

Rat wrote:
Layzie Bone wrote:Now that there used to work in WinMX chatrooms, but I think they used a 3 digit number instead of 4...but interesting to say the least...
If you look closely, you'll see that not all the codes I gave are 4 digits. There are two that have just 2 digits. If you are interested to know what the codes are, and why some have 1,2,3 or even 4 digits, you could do worse than consulting this page. You'll find a chart about half way down with very many ASCII codes. At the top of each column it says where each code comes from. For example ♫ is alt+14 from the original IBM-OEM series while € comes from alt+0128 from ANSI Extended ASCII.

Folks, a small qualifier..... I've noticed that while playing with ASCII not all the codes show what you might expect. This, from the results of my initial tinkering, seems to stem from having multiple keyboard layouts installed. If, like me, you use more than one [I use English (UK), English (US), Polish (Programmers) and Polish (214)] keyboard layouts, you may find that the ASCII codes sometimes produce things you didn't expect. I guess it is possible that the shortcuts shown in the tables you can find online (like the one linked above) were described by folks using a different layout. Multilingual tables might be a good idea..... but I'm too lazy to do it.
Well that is certianly handy, especially for those who need a extremely complex password. I'm definitely bookmarking that...