On Yer Bike...It's An Art!!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

Spoke-Art Image
Introduction
Spoke POV is an easy-to-make electronic kit toy that turns your bicycle wheel into a customized display! The project includes a free schematic design, open software for uploading and editing stored bitmap images, and a high-quality kit with all the parts necessary to build your own.

Kits & PCBs available for purchase now!
Specification & Features

* Can be used with road, mountain or BMX wheels!
* 30 LEDs on each side (22 for BMX) x 256 radial pixels
* Runs on 2-3 AA batteries for 10 hours or more, assuming 3000mAh alkalines and 50% image coverage.
* Can run on rechargable NiMH AA's
* Comes with high-brightness red, yellow, green or blue LEDs
* Automatically shuts off after 3 minutes
* Software runs on any Mac, Windows or Linux computer with Serial, Parallal or USB port
* Design is all through-hole parts, perfect for a first time kit builder.
* With one spoke, total persistence at 15mph. Two spokes, 10mph. Three spokes, 7mph. (Assuming a mountain bike wheel). Looks cool even if not completely persistant.
* Great for safe riding at night, provides excellent side visibility.
* Playa-tested!
http://www.ladyada.net/make/spokepov/
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
moongirl

Virtual Bike Lane
A close brush with a distracted driver is enough to intimidate any avid bicycler from riding at night. You’ve probably seen small blinkers and flashers tucked just below the seat but that isn’t enough. As a daily driver in a very bike friendly city, I can attest I usually don’t notice those blinkers until I’m within a few hundred yards of the bicycler. That leaves very little distance and time to react if I were to collide with them.

Only a small fraction of streets have dedicated bike lanes, and with an installation cost of $5,000 - $50,000 per mile, we shouldn’t expect to find them everywhere anytime soon. LightLane projects a crisply defined virtual bike lane onto pavement, using a laser, providing the driver with a familiar boundary to avoid. With a wider margin of safety, bikers will regain their confidence to ride at night, making the bike a more viable commuting alternative. I want one now. Evan and Alex, make it and call me!
Designers: Evan Gant & Alex Tee
http://www.yankodesign.com/2009/01/16/s ... a-my-lane/
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)