Put Your Sleepy Head On My Lap...Top!!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

C'mon sleepy head, need to take a break from your laptop?

i-Sleep: Laptop Powered Nap Pillow
i- sleep
An analog laptop extension
A project by Ivonne Dippmann

It is almost midnight, the eyes get heavier and our "to do" list waits with several prettily marked points of work, which have to be done until 8:00 o'clock in the morning. Yes, sleep is luxury and our working place "NO SLEEP" area.

Because of this sad fact our upper neck hurts for days after slaming on a wooden table or against the keyboard...even after consuming 3 bottles Club Mate!

This painfull experience will now stop! Now there is i -sleep, a comfortable soft pillow which can be attached on the top of each leptop and functiones like a rescue west in an airplane - with the difference...it really saves us. If we tend to fall asleep, we just close our laptop, a pillow gets filled with warm air, music is being played and after 10 minutes the alarm clock rings. Bonne nuit!
http://www.digital.udk-berlin.de/en/pro ... sleep.html
The i-sleep is a concept pillow for those too tired to leave the desk for a nap, but still awake enough to grab an inflatable pillow, hook its intake up to the fan exhaust of a notebook and choose some soothing music. In short, somebody in the dying throes of a week long, caffeine-fuelled coding session.

The idea is cute, but – we expect – destined to remain a concept. Ivonne Dippmann's design has a few fatal flaws. The first is that you have to close the laptop to get things started, something which usually puts the computer itself to sleep. In order for the pillow to remain warm and puffy, it takes the warm air from the fan vent, which will be off. It also uses the computer's music player to pump tunes into an integrated speaker. Again, off.

We guess you could set the machine to stay on whilst folded (unless you have a Mac notebook, in which case you're screwed*) but the final danger remains. No matter how inflated the bag gets, it will still be putting the entire weight of your head onto the lid of your notebook. When the ten-minute alarm finally wakes you, you can open the laptop and be greeted by a screen sporting a hundred little key-shaped dents.

Project page [Universität der Kúnste Berlin via Oh Gizmo!]

*We know the MacBook Pro can run in "clamshell" mode, but the amount of jiggering needed to get it working is sure to bring you back to wakefulness pretty quickly.
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/10/i ... aptop.html
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Hmmm. Whatever next eh? :lol:

I've thought of a better idea.

Laptop with car airbag that goes off as soon as it detects via a built-in webcam that checks your head movement and distance from keyboard. Too close and wham!

Have to issue a warning with it though. "While the airbag will prevent any serious injury to your personal being, it's possible that the keys will need replacing and removed from any unfortunate soul who had the misfortune to stand in close proximity to you."

At least it'll wake you up!

I need to get out more....
If you don't ask...
moongirl

I like the way you think Mr Happy!! :lol:

What about a b/s bag? Detects too much from the keyboard and then ...

I'm outta here!! :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

LOL moon.

You can buy inflatable chairs, etc....

So why not an inflatable laptop?

Ditto to "I'm outta here...."

:lol:
If you don't ask...
threewing
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

I want an inflatable hard drive. Because it's filling up quite Rapidly. . .

](*,) sooo far gone now ...
/|\

/|\ has a strict policy concerning disclosure of identity, showing of
light sabers, affiliationado's, multiple account users, drinking buddies who
join the same community they see me visit for years, and board hoggers
(whatever that means).
The policy is: If it doesn't bother me, I don't give a flying f4ck.
quahappy
Happy, not Quappy
Happy, not Quappy

Why not one for a desktop PC though?! There is another alternative. A spine splint and neck brace. That way you'll never fall onto your much loved PC if you fall asleep. Obvious really when you think about it. ;)
If you don't ask...