Windows XP on a 8 MHz Machine!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

It's a race to the bottom! Takes 30 minutes to boot. The clock is so slow that the PCI bus does not run fast enough for the video card so he has to use a ISA video card.

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/02/25 ... -20mb-ram/
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Even though you'll start to see icons pop up on the screen it'll take another 17 minutes before you can click on them. And the CPU is at 100% all the time, but just think how low your energy bills would be if you were running this machine?
Feels that way with 512MB of RAM... :P
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

If you look on youtube, search 286 based internet, and might i say i've never seen google's site run so slow. You can literally watch google's logo get downloaded pixel by pixel.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Nn0eDF9X0

I skipped through it a bit (the author is right, it is like watching paint dry :shock: ) but the website at around 5:30 didn't seem to load too slowly. Looked like a pretty basic HTML page though.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone

Well i think they should left the memory alone, would have given a more accurate view on the CPU's performance, but since thier goal was for the weakest cpu running xp and 20 mb of ram is well, pretty weak.

I wonder how long it would take to open up google, or post on cricketmx?
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

The slowest machine I've used in recent years is a 70Mhz laptop running Win95. It's actually pretty responsive.

Watching the video: It's only a little bit worse than having dialup. :P