CompTIA A+ & MSCE - Is it worth it?

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

I'm looking to eventually become a certified technician. I've ordered several books. I'm not too shabby when it comes to computers. I've found in computers, when you know something, there's much more to know.

My boss basically thinks that certifications are a joke. This can be true if someone has no experience. Do the certifications do any good as far as getting a better job. Funny thing, I opened one of the Microsoft books and it reads "Choosing this career won't make you rich, and leave you with little spare time, but you'll stay busy..."

I've read a lot of people's opinion, people have said start your own business, and so fourth

Right now being that the economy is in the gutter, starting a business is not a good idea...

In this world of constant outscouring, should I move to india? :P
moongirl

In answer to your question on a move to India, do you like curry?
A real positive in a move there would be... you would have to become a cricket fanatic!
So, would it be worth it? Of course!! :wink:

The MSCE certification is the one that Grinch achieved some time ago isn't it?
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

India has a booming economy, I think it is growing at something like 7% a year (don't quote me on that ;)). Because the population is so big, there is huge potential for further growth.

That is the place where you should be starting your business :P
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

The MCSE certification doesn't really exist anymore since Server 2008 arrived. The new equivalent is the MCITP Enterprise Administrator. Don't waste your time with A+. Look at Cisco certifications as well starting with CCNA. A big top paying job is database administrator. Usually they start out at 6 figures.

Here is an example as far as the certs are a joke. When I got out of the military all I had was my MCP certification which is the basic MS cert. I had job offers but nothing substantial. Once i got my MCSE and updated my resume I got called every day. Not to toot my own horn but I make 6 figures as a windows server admin. I do a little bit of everything. The jobs are out there, there is no need to move to India.
Layzie Bone

I guess they're making server too easy? I havent seen server 2008 yet, but the word is its a whole lot easier to deal with than 2003. I've been wanting to play with 2003, but i can't find any way to really do a lot with it at home. A+ does sound like a joke, just based on the questions that are on the practice exam, like who the hell is going to still be using an AT motherboard...and then install an ATX power supply, though it is possible, but then you'll need adapters and all kinds of crap.... Biggest question I have does it make it more possible that a place would hire me? The MCITP for "Desktop Support Technician" is basically Vista inside and out, which I'm almost there as far as knowing vista pretty well. Some of the things in the book I would not reccomend ever doing...Easy Transfer and USMT, they half ass work, a good deal of software existing in an XP enviroment is not compatible with Vista and WILL cause a lot of grief using those tools a good deal of the time, but then again, when it works, it does take out a lot of work, versus reinstalling apps, hunting for application data, etc.

My idea to make some money is doing service calls, people call me to come over and fix thier computer, a lot of people around here are old and just dont want to deal with uplugging everything and so on. I can charge what ever I want, but I figure charging $45/hr is plenty and if I do a lot of service calls I can make a great amount of money.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Server too easy? Unless you have ever set up an enterprise level domain a few times I don't think you can classify server as easy. There is a lot more to server than just installing Active Directory and creating users.

I don't have a college degree and I can get a job with no problems considering I have experience and the certifications to back me up. You can waste 4+ years getting an IT degree if you want but an employer isn't as interested in your school as much as they are your ability to do the job. The certification tests are easy but it gives an employer the idea that you have knowledge related to the tasks they are going to want you to do. The way I look at it, the certification is going to get you the interview. How you perform at the interview is going to determine whether or not you get the job. Every interview I have been to has involved some sort of test of your IT skills and knowledge. One place even had a written test I had to take. Some even brought in senior engineers and they grilled you. So if you just pass the certs because you went online and read some brain dumps you will fail at the interview.

As far as playing with server at home, look into virtual machines. If your home PC is powerful enough you can run server no problem. Or you can pick up a cheap server on eBay fairly cheap. I picked up a dual Xeon, 2GB RAM, 400GB hard drive for $300. It is older but I installed 2008 server on it no problem. I need some more RAM to do virtual machines but for the most part it gives me enough to learn on. But I have uber servers at work I play with so it isn't as important at home.
Layzie Bone

Well I dont think I'll have any problems in that field, I'm running a Core2 Extreme X9650, 2 GB RAM, blah blah blah....

Now you have to use Virtual Server, and not Virtual PC to my knowledge, haven't read enough about Virtual Server to know what kind of critter it is...I know enought hat Server 2003 will probably load, but functionality is another story, but I didn't really think of Virtual Machine for some reason...

Next thing is with server, being a noob, where, what is the most important thing(s) to start with, obviously an understanding of Active Directory, how it works and fourth is a given....
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure you can use Virtual PC. Virtual Server is more for enterprise level virtual environments, such as multiple virtual servers. Here is a quote from MS on Virtual PC:
Use Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 to run multiple operating systems at the same time on the same physical computer. Switch between virtual machines with the click of a button. Use virtual machines to run legacy applications, provide support, train users, and enhance quality assurance.
Active Directory is a good start. DNS, DHCP, RRAS, Group Policy so on and so forth.
Layzie Bone

my boss is wanting to go into more server inviroments, however, I dont think it's a wise idea to mess around with businesses when we really dont know *****....If we set it up and it works, but then suddenly it doesn't, they're callings us, and if we can't fix the problem we've only looked like a bunch of idiots. For me, getting into server is simply for me & myself, to better myself, and for better wages...i know wishful thinking :roll:

Well I got the 180 day trial version of server which I'll play with shortly, and just see how it goes. With respecting you and the fact that most people after work, dont want to deal with computers anymore, let alone server, but if you dont mind helping me out here and there, would be great---either way definitely sounds like you know your ***** :wink:
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

During the week I am not on my computer much after work. I check the forums regularly throughout the day though and can help you out if you need some guidance.

What kind of setup are you running at work now? How many PC's, employees?
Layzie Bone

well at work we have me & charlie, and robert is the owner, he really doesn't do much, just acts like it...

the server setup we have there only has charlie as the user, they haven't spent one second with me on server, so i know nothing at all....
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

So you have a server but don't know how it is setup? Do you know what OS it is running? Do you logon to a domain?
Layzie Bone

a couple posts up i was describing how robert, my boss, is wanting to go more server stuff, but none of us are too knowledgable on server, charlie knows the most as he's the one who has to set up all the stuff... here at work, i know it's server 2003 SMB, and I believe they've set up a domain, they use it really to play with, but we (mostly charlie) usually dont have any time to do so.

Familiar with server 2008? My boss doesn't want to give me the product key so I'm downloading the trial for 2008...

---edit----

consider that I would like to create a VPN in server and be able to share files from another computer in the domain as well as from the server, is it possible to be able to create network drives on the client computers that will be using the VPN? Rather how could I get access to the shared files from the VPN?
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have never used SMB. SMB is supposed to be a one server solution since most small businesses don't have the budget for IT. You can learn a lot on it if you get the chance to play with it.

I haven't gotten into 2008 server. I have it installed at home and have done some stuff like setting up Active Directory, DNS and played with Group Policy but haven't really had the time to see what's under the hood.

I haven't had to deal with VPN's in a few years. The network I manage is closed, there is no outside access at all. The last company I worked for had a VPN and I had access to shared folders on the network so it can be done but how I am not sure. This website looks like it may hold the answers for you.