AVG Free Edition Version 8.0.01

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

It's time to upgrade to AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 8.0.1
Requirements:
Windows 2000/XP/Vista
Date Added:
April 23, 2008

Publisher's description of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
From AVG Technologies:

AVG Free Edition is the well-known antivirus protection tool. AVG Free is available free of charge to home users for the life of the product. Rapid virus database updates are available for the lifetime of the product, thereby providing the high level of detection capability that millions of users around the world trust to protect their computers. AVG Free is easy to use and will not slow your system down (low system resource requirements. Highlights include automatic update functionality, the AVG Resident Shield, which provides real-time protection as files are opened and programs are run, free Virus Database Updates for the lifetime of the product, and AVG Virus Vault for safe handling of infected files.

Version 8.0.1 adds integrated spyware protection and a new LinkScanner feature that gives users safety rankings for their Google, Yahoo, and MSN searches.
http://www.download.com/3000-2239_4-10834624.html
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
p2p-sharing-rules

I ***** up my PC with the new AVG 8, so be careful what you remove from the scan results.
I had to format my PC and reinstall XP Pro SP2.Good thing SP3 is out or I would've been getting Windows updates for hours.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I haven't upgraded yet and now you have me scared :?
p2p-sharing-rules

It was my stupidity again.I should've read the help files before trying to click the detected problems away.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

The new AVG actually ticked me off. If you disable any features, it sticks itself in error mode and complains that you aren't protected. One of the new "features" is a phishing protection that scans links in webpages and marks them with a green check or a red X. What this means is that it monitors your internet requests, reports addresses to their server to check for phishing, and then changes the page display to include the icon.

Disabling this feature makes AVG complain. I hope this is changed soon or I'll have to find a new AV. I got the older version from http://oldversion.com/ but even that version complains of being to old. I've heard that Avast is nice. :)

(Since I only boot into Windows to punch my timecard and check the exchange server, I don't worry about it too much.
moongirl

I'm sorry everyone. We've all been dudded!! :cry:

My first attempt to download the new version involved corrupt files.
The second attempt wouldn't work because of Microsoft Update issues.
I use automatic updates so this surprised me. Service Pack 2 apparently!!

So from me a very big sorry, and a very big "Bugger that for a joke & bring back the old version!!" :wink:

I notice that AVG have extended the deadline to upgrade to June 25, 2008.
moongirl

My Microsoft update issues have been resolved and the new version is up and running.
Found one Trojan Horse... and 218 Potentially Dangerous Threats!!

What's going on here! I don't do threats very well! I do Trojan Horses less well!
Damn! It feels so dirty! Firstly, I think I'll wipe everything over with Dettol! :shock:

The old AVG made me feel so safe and happy... "No Threats Found" every time it scanned!! :)