The World Wide Web & CERN

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

This topic was originally titled: Do You Know How It All Started?

Ever since I became a fan of Dan Brown's work, the word CERN has had my interest.
I recently read an article about Sir Tim Berners-Lee... and there was that acronym again!!
And it is - Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire.

The World Wide Web
The World Wide Web (known as "WWW', "Web" or "W3") is the universe of network-accessible information, the embodiment of human knowledge.

The World Wide Web began as a networked information project at CERN, where Tim Berners-Lee, now Director of the World Wide Web Consortium [W3C], developed a vision of the project.

The Web has a body of software, and a set of protocols and conventions. Through the use hypertext and multimedia techniques, the web is easy for anyone to roam, browse, and contribute to. An early talk about the Web gives some more background on how the Web was originally conceived.
http://www.w3.org/WWW/
Sir Tim Berners-Lee
A graduate of Oxford University, England, Tim Berners-Lee holds the 3Com Founders chair and is a Senior Research Scientist at the Laboratory for Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (CSAIL) at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). He is co-Director of the new Web Science Research Initiative (WSRI) and is a Chair in the Computer Science Department at the University of Southampton, UK. He directs the World Wide Web Consortium, founded in 1994

In 1989 he invented the World Wide Web, an internet-based hypermedia initiative for global information sharing while at CERN, the European Particle Physics Laboratory. He wrote the first web client and server in 1990. His specifications of URIs, HTTP and HTML were refined as Web technology spread.

In 2001 he became a fellow of the Royal Society. He has been the recipient of several international awards including the Japan Prize, the Prince of Asturias Foundation Prize, the Millennium Technology Prize and Germany's Die Quadriga award. In 2004 he was knighted by H.M. Queen Elizabeth. He is the author of "Weaving the Web".
http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/
CERN
CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is one of the world’s largest and most respected centres for scientific research. Its business is fundamental physics, finding out what the Universe is made of and how it works. At CERN, the world’s largest and most complex scientific instruments are used to study the basic constituents of matter — the fundamental particles. By studying what happens when these particles collide, physicists learn about the laws of Nature.

The instruments used at CERN are particle accelerators and detectors. Accelerators boost beams of particles to high energies before they are made to collide with each other or with stationary targets. Detectors observe and record the results of these collisions.

Founded in 1954, the CERN Laboratory sits astride the Franco–Swiss border near Geneva. It was one of Europe’s first joint ventures and now has 20 Member States.
http://www.cern.ch/
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh I'm disappointed now, I thought this was going to be about CricketMX :wink:
Do You Know How It All Started?

CricketMX.com began in January 2004 as battye.jmstacey.net and achieved greatness quickly...
:mrgreen: =D> =D>
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

The "old get 'em with a hook" trick!!

I'm sorry Battye. Yours is also a very good story... as far as I'm conCERNed!! :wink:
pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

lol
Once upon a time in a country far far away, there was a creature named ... Battye.
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

pokesthelippyfish wrote:lol
Once upon a time in a country far far away, there was a creature named ... Battye.
Don't stop there. I'm intrigued. I want to see where this goes... :mrgreen:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

Time Travel, Aliens, Ghosts, Crop Circles, CERN, IKEA and The Moon Landing
http://www.cricketmx.com/articles/read/ ... n-landing/
moongirl

CERN's Large Hadron Collider - Lawsuit
Mar 10
CERN LHC lawsuit was not accepted for decision by German
Constitutional Court

The German Institutional Court today has refused to accept an appeal
for interim measures to limit LHC energies at 1 TeV per beam. This
means that the case was not accepted for decision by the court and
that it is confident with a lower court’s negative decision. This time
the judges’ argumentation does not seem to be about jurisdiction. In
the argumentation of the court it says the plaintiff (a female German
citizen living in Switzerland) “beyond her general mistrust towards
physical laws could not demonstrate why there is a threat of
destruction of the Earth.”

This is astonishing because the case included physical descriptions of
the risks. Now it seems like the court would have needed more physical
expertises.

Over all, the refusal of the German Constitutional Court could
increase the chances of complaints on international level because
national remedies are exhausted. Also other complaints on national
level are still possible.

Nevertheless, the CERN member states have got the duty to ensure
citizens’ safety. This does not function if they only rely on the
argumentation of the operator CERN and on courts’ decisions in favour
of this argumentation.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.phys ... cf02141aff