Blu ray appears to have beaten DVD

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/1 ... technology
HD DVDs Fall Like Dominoes

Nothing has been announced, but Variety is reporting that the last two major studios backing HD DVD — NBC Universal and Paramount — are opening the door for a switch to Blu-ray. These studios have commitments to release some discs this year in HD DVD, but both have ended their exclusive commitment to that format, which is backed by a group led by Toshiba.

This comes after Warner Brothers, which had been issuing movies in both formats, decided to go exclusively with Sony’s Blu-ray format. Variety also reports that retailers may also put pressure on Universal and Paramount to back Blu-ray. Last summer, Blockbuster decided to go with Blu-ray only.
Looks like this could really pave the way for Blu ray disks now. A very interesting development, certainly the backing of General Electric (NBC) will help their cause significantly.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Hmmm, probably will end up supporting both, like the whole DVD+R and DVD-R, both are really the same, the primary objective is High Definition. I imagine that players will eventually support both Blue Ray and HD DVD. I dont have one, yet. It's kind of pointless for me because the surround sound system I have doesn't play HD DVD or Blue Ray and I dont have a way of going surround sound in from any equipment, it only does 5.1 when I play a DVD in it, otherwise I'm on Dolby Pro Logic, which I mean sounds good, but I might as well wait and save up for a reciever that does what I want it to do rather than spend $200 on a HD DVD or Blue Ray Player. I might buy a HD DVD / Blue Ray Burner for my computer possibly before then, who knows.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

looks like it's official
David Lieberman, USA TODAY
Prospects for a resolution to the high-definition DVD format war seemed to come into sharper focus on Monday as Best Buy bby and Netflix nflx separately announced plans to promote Sony's sne Blu-ray format over Toshiba's HD DVD.

Best Buy, the No. 1 consumer electronics chain, said that beginning in early March it will provide more shelf space and marketing for Blu-ray players and software than it will for similar HD DVD products.

"We're trying to be a customer advocate," says Mike Vitelli, Best Buy's senior vice president for home solutions. "Consumers want some clear direction. We're stepping out and giving them that recommendation."

The change was based on the company's view that "there are more lines pointing to the blue side" in the battle with HD DVD, Vitelli says.

Home video rental service Netflix reached a similar conclusion: It has stopped buying HD DVD discs.

"We expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly," Ted Sarandos, Netflix's chief content officer, said in a statement.

Blockbuster bbi said last year that most of its stores would offer just Blu-ray discs for high-def rental.

Toshiba's Jodi Sally said in a statement that the company, which recently slashed prices for HD DVD players, "will continue to study the market impact and the value proposition for consumers."

Many consumers who want high-def home video have stayed on the sidelines while Hollywood studios and consumer electronics companies pushed the incompatible formats.

Blu-ray supporters — including Disney dis, Fox, Lionsgate lgf and Sony's film studio — say their discs can pack substantially more digital data that can be used for bonus features and games.

HD DVD's camp — including Universal, Paramount, DreamWorks Animation dwa and Microsoft msft— say that its format is more versatile and stable.

Blu-ray got a big boost last month when Warner Bros., the No. 1 home video distributor, said it would offer just high-def movies and TV shows in that format beginning in May.

Studios in the Blu-ray camp accounted for about 66% of all video sales and rentals in 2007.Toshiba's strategy to win customers with low-priced players is "a Hail Mary (pass)," says NPD entertainment analyst Russ Crupnick. "It's a format that's not going to be supported much longer."

Blu-ray supporters say that the latest announcements mean the format war is all but over.
Story
AP EXCLUSIVE: Target will feature Blu-ray player, discs in store displays

"Everyone's tired of it," says Andy Parsons, chairman of the Blu-ray Disc Association's promotions committee. "Both (companies) pointed to consumer preference. It's dictated by market forces.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

The monster Wal-Mart joins in.
By MARCUS KABEL
Feb. 15, 2008
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has picked Blu-ray over HD DVD in the market battle for the format of high-definition video.

The nation's largest retailer said Friday it has decided to sell only Blu-ray DVDs and hardware in its 4,000 U.S. stores and no longer carry rival HD DVD offerings.

The announcement comes five days after Netflix Inc. said it will stop carrying rentals in Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD format and instead go exclusively with the rival Sony Corp. technology favored by five major movie studios.

Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition DVDs and players. The stakes are high because the winner will also get a boost in sales of DVD players needed to read the new format.

Several large retailers have come down on Blu-ray's side, including Target Corp. and Blockbuster Inc.

"We've listened to our customers, who are showing a clear preference toward Blu-ray products and movies with their purchases," Gary Severson, head of home entertainment for Wal-Mart's U.S. stores, said in a statement.

Wal-Mart said it will phase out all HD DVD offerings by June. Wal-Mart stores and Sam's Clubs membership warehouses will continue to sell standard definition movies and DVD players as well as converter technology.

Sony has taken a considerable lead in the format rivalry in recent months, gaining the endorsement of The Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer and Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Entertainment.

Viacom's Paramount Pictures, which also owns DreamWorks SKG, and Universal Pictures, a unit of General Electric, have opted to release films only in HD DVD.

Still, many consumers have held off on buying a high-definition DVD player until the dominant format is decided.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

YURI KAGEYAMA AP Business Writer
TOKYO Feb 19, 2008 (AP)
Toshiba said Tuesday it will no longer develop, make or market HD DVD players and recorders, handing a victory to rival Blu-ray disc technology in the format battle for next-generation video.

"We concluded that a swift decision would be best," Toshiba President Atsutoshi Nishida told reporters at his company's Tokyo offices.more
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

As usual, CricketMX had the inside info over a month in advance 8)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)