SpaceMonger Version 1.4

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

SpaceMonger is a free download (102.81K) that gives you a visual
representation of your harddrive much like a floor-plan of a building.
I really like this clever file management tool. It is avaliable from:
http://www.download.com/SpaceMonger/300 ... 49663.html

I've used the image from http://easilyamusedinstitute.blogspot.com

Publisher's description of SpaceMonger
From Sean Werkema:
SpaceMonger is a tool for keeping track of the free space on your computer. Each file or folder on a given drive is displayed in a box in the main window whose size is a relative comparison to all the other files in your system. So, for example, if the "Windows" box takes up 90% of the screen, the "C:\Windows" folder and all its sub-folders and files are taking up 90% of your "C:" drive.
http://www.download.com/SpaceMonger/300 ... 49663.html
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

What an awesome program. According to this, Blood Diamond.avi is my largest file.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Filelight is a Linux program with a similar function. It uses a pie-chart layout to show file sizes. This is a screenshot of a folder on the computer I use for file backups.
The middle circle represents My Documents and the green arc is My Pictures (305MB). The smaller red/orange arc to the upper right is My Music (120MB)

nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I had a chance to run SpaceMonger recently. I was working on a WinXP computer with an 80GB drive, and I couldn't figure out why it was full. (Turns out there were two iTunes folders, total of about 60GB)

SpaceMonger is a lot faster than I expected it to be and made it easy find out where the space went. It also made it easy to pick a chunk of files to remove so that I could get enough free space to run a defrag.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I thought it was surprisingly fast as well, which is a pleasant change (ironically, I've been waiting 3 minutes for iTunes to load)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
moongirl

Disk Inventory X
An open source download that is "Spacemonger" for macs!!
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?p=84636#84636
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Very useful program. I found a tmp file that was using 15 GB of space, that I probably wouldn't have found until i ran out of space....
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I wanted to take a look at this
downloaded from above link
tried to save the exe. from the zip file in c/program files, but file wizard would not extract the files :cry: it just sets there saying extracting?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

File is not corrupted is it? Try downloading it again, and if that doesn't work maybe try using WinZip? :?

tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I don't know why extract all didn't work so I opened it with winRAR it ask if I wanted to replace existing folder which I did created a short cut.

The program ran very quick and I found 5.98G of space in recyclers alone :D .
The program dose need a bit more info so one doesn't delete something they shouldn't.

Thanks for the info Moon :mrgreen:
moongirl

You're welcome Tune :wink: