OpenOffice Suite - Latest Version

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

moongirl

OpenOffice Version 2.0 Is Here
OpenOffice.org 2.0 is the productivity suite that individuals, governments, and corporations around the world have been expecting for the last two years. Easy to use and fluidly interoperable with every major office suite, OpenOffice.org 2.0 realises the potential of open source.

With new features, advanced XML capabilities and native support for the OASIS Standard OpenDocument format, OpenOffice.org 2.0 gives users around the globe the tools to be engaged and productive members of their society.

Download it now. If it is not ready today in your language, it will be shortly. OpenOffice.org 2.0 is yours.

* OpenOffice.org 2.0 Download (These Clickies available at the http://www.openoffice.org site)
* Features
* Press Release
* Press Information

OpenOffice.org Is Five Years Old!

On 13 October 2000 Sun Microsystems donated the source of StarOffice to the open-source community. Sun remains the project's chief sponsor and contributor, though the project can now boast contributions from Novell, Red Hat, Debian, Intel, and many other large and small companies, plus the very important and numberless contributions from independent developers, NGOs, and government agencies. All these have made OpenOffice.org not just a free alternative productivity suite but the best and most advanced productivity suite. And also a great community.
http://www.openoffice.org

The suite of programmes (including word processor and spreadsheet) is free to download
and is fully cross-compatible with every operating system and major office suite including MS Office and Word Perfect.
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Open Office is ok. Although I'd rather rip off Microsoft.

The whole idea of it is great, the word processor is as every bit as good as word. But the rest are kind of cheesy if you know what I mean, they have krispy kreme on their mind a lot...
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

I love OOO. Why risk a ripped off and somewhat buggy MS product when you can have free office software that works? As for 'cheesy', I have to say that the presentation software is a bit lacking... it doesn't integrate well with powerpoint, but then, it doesn't need to does it? The rest is fine as far as I can tell. The spreadsheets work beautifully and the drawing program is just lovely - my boss is always most impressed and wants to know how I do those pretty diagrams.

Extra point.... the linux version runs a little faster. I'll be updating both my win and lin versions soon.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm thinking of downloading their word processor. Is it compatible with Word? Ie. the documents save in .doc format, and can be opened in either editor?

Thanks
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Umm... I'm not sure you can download the word processor without the rest of the suite... tho I could be wrong.

Yes, it works with its own file formats and with MS file formats too. It reads and writes MS files with no problems at all. I use it at home and at work, under windows and linux. I can always read all the files, regardless of which OS I used or which office software.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

We had to install it recently because MSO started crapping itself. I've used it before this as well, and it gets my vote.

I wonder if a version without .doc compatibility would save on download/install size.
Layzie Bone

the word processor is compatible with MS word, and it is multi-os, like if you save a file on a floppy and go into linux, it will open any format on any platform. The set is onyl around 50 MB, unless it grew since I had it.

Office actually, isn't as bad as you think. I dont recall Word/Powerpt/Excel or front page ever craashing on my computer yet. I do remember having crashes on an older 1.6 GHz system without SP2 or any office updates.

I've crashed everything, even programs in linux, and caused linux to stop responding, just like windows does time to time. I break everything, from the time I was 4 to now, now I'm breaking things like cars and telephone poles versus tape players and toys, bike and junk.
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

wanabe wrote:I've crashed everything, even programs in linux, and caused linux to stop responding, just like windows does time to time.
Hehehehehehehe. I like it. Perhaps you're cursed?

Good news folks. OOO version 2 has a nice new database package, something that was sadly lacking in previous versions. Mmmmm. Oh yes, and you can download the package p2p so it takes very little time.
moongirl

OpenOffice Version 3.0 - Released October 2008
We've recorded over 50 million downloads from our download site
since we released OpenOffice.org 3.0 last October.
http://www.openoffice.org/

NeoOffice Version 3.0 - OpenOffice For Macs
http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.p ... 604#p96604
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)