Gmail = 2gigs

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

battye wrote:
BeeZer wrote:Kind of like when you're waiting for your car's odometer to turn over to 100,000 or some significant number and then you miss it even though you're in the car driving at the time. :lol:
Yeah, that's always pretty annoying :evil:

I remember when CMX was approaching 10,000 posts (I think it was 10k) - I was posting like crazy to try and reach it, and when on 9,999, somebody else came in, posted once and then logged off :lol:

Wasn't me :P but I would have
moongirl

Computing In The Cloud...
Python binding for Google's Gmail service
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=113492
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

From 3GB, they are now at 5GB. They really need to just let us use them for file storage now.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

nesman wrote:From 3GB, they are now at 5GB. They really need to just let us use them for file storage now.
Yep. Maybe they could set up FTP accounts for users... although I doubt they would, it would just turn into a massive P2P experience :lol:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Well, now we're over 5GB and it looks like we'll soon be at 6GB. When will the insanity stop?
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Only thing I see is that they only let you send 50 MB attachments
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Layzie Bone wrote:Only thing I see is that they only let you send 50 MB attachments
I thought once upon a time the sizes were not limited. I remember when Gmail was launching people were going crazy over the fact that they could send movies for email.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

We've broken the 6GB limit now, and still counting.

I don't know when attachment limits changed but over a year ago I tried GMailFS for a while, but you had to break files down to about 5MB chunks. I tried to move a movie like that but got my account shut down for a day. Lockdown in Sector 4
moongirl

The Gmail beta tags may be gone...but, you can still wear them for old-time's sake :wink:
7/07/2009 08:02:00 AM
We're often asked why so many Google applications seem to be perpetually in beta. For example, Gmail has worn the beta tag more than five years. We realize this situation puzzles some people, particularly those who subscribe to the traditional definition of "beta" software as not being yet ready for prime time.

Ever since we launched the Google Apps suite for businesses two years ago, it's had a service level agreement, 24/7 support, and has met or exceeded all the other standards of non-beta software. More than 1.75 million companies around the world run their business on Google Apps, including Google. We've come to appreciate that the beta tag just doesn't fit for large enterprises that aren't keen to run their business on software that sounds like it's still in the trial phase. So we've focused our efforts on reaching our high bar for taking products out of beta, and all the applications in the Apps suite have now met that mark.

Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Docs and Google Talk — both enterprise and consumer versions — are now out of beta. "Beta" will be removed from the product logos today, but we'll continue to innovate and improve upon the applications whether or not there's a small "beta" beneath the logo. Indeed, today we're also announcing some other Google Apps features that we think will appeal to large enterprises: mail delegation, mail retention and ongoing enhancements to Apps reliability.

We have much more in store, and IT managers can read more about how to make the switch to Apps in our Microsoft Exchange and Lotus Notes resource centers. One more thing — for those who still like the look of "beta", we've made it easy to re-enable the beta label for Gmail from the Labs tab under Settings.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/ ... eally.html
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)