Munging!

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Munging is the process of hiding words, links and e-mail addresses in web pages such that non-human readers (spambots!!!) can't read them.

Here's an interesting link (be sure to read pages 2 and 3 on advanced munging!!)
http://www.projecthoneypot.org/how_to_a ... ambots.php
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Very useful page Rat 8)
I have noticed a few people using this technique , frontcode being one of them.
I wish they would all get together and shut down the spammers in all nations, but no doubt this would mean an end to free speech also.. lose , lose situation :x
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Well now.... Everyone who has a web site can help fight spam. My site is one of the many that have joined Project Honeypot. What is it? Well, we place a Honeypot page on our websites and then embed invisible links to that page in all our other pages. Because the links are invisible to the casual browser it's mostly only crawlers and spambots that find the page. When the page is accessed the IP number of the visitor is sent to the central project site. The Honeypot page will also contain an e-mail address (sometimes visible, sometimes not) which is faked and unique for each visitor. These addresses are also kept by the project site. Then we wait. If the project receives mail to one of the addresses in it's database it knows it when the E-mail address was harvested.... and, because the addresses are unique for each visit... it also knows which IP was involved.
The Project was started a few weeks ago by http://www.unspam.com and has already issued nearly 64,000 faked addresses resulting in over 2100 spams messages. Over 1200 spam servers and over 390 harvesters (the nasty people!!) have been identified.

Got a web site? Get involved! If you'd like to know more please contact me.
Attachments
stop_spam_road.jpg
stop_spam_road.jpg (13.4 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

Rat thats a great idea , I,ll drop a few hints as I visit other forums, this sounds like its going to take off in a big way :D
Nice to know that we havent all got to sit and take this sort of thing, I get 100 peices of junk every week, so I,m all for it .
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Update.

Project Honeypot is still running strong 8 years later. Here's a link to some statistics:

http://www.projecthoneypot.org/statistics.php

Also, I had a look at some of my own personal statistics and it really is fascinating....
This guy 81.144.138.34 has been crawling addresses with a spider for over a year and last crawled my honey-pot... today!
The IP is also home to a mail server and dictionary attacker (running for 4 years) based in the Staines/Slough area of the UK. The spam it sends out obviously comes "from" various "people" but most often it appears to use the names "Zane Gay" or "Lori Avery". The spider has been seen 28,333 times and the mail server has sent my honey-pot addresses 26 mails and 6 dictionary attacks. And that's just one little machine. My addresses have so far attracted 76,787 spam messages, 45 of them this week! Best of all, at least 13 people have joined the scheme after clicking on the linked badge in my signature file. :D
Moon8654

The term munging probably derives from the acronym mung (pronounced just as it looks), which stands for "mash until no good." It may also derive from the hackers' slang term munge (pronounced MUHNJ), which means "to alter information so it is no longer accurate."
moongirl

Moon8654 wrote:The term munging probably derives from the acronym mung (pronounced just as it looks), which stands for "mash until no good." It may also derive from the hackers' slang term munge (pronounced MUHNJ), which means "to alter information so it is no longer accurate."

Methinks this may be a Bot!
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

He might be.
I'm not.
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Nope, definitely not a bot.

How have you been Rat? Good to hear from you and everyone else after however long it has been...
moongirl

Rat wrote:He might be.
I'm not.
Rat! Good to see your post! :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)