What Operating System Do You Like Best?

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have something against Intel Boozy. My Intel kicks major ass.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

id never use them, i have many mates who work in the computer industry, 1 biulding them and another buyin and sellin etc etc, and personally i would rather have a AMD and they all say the same

you might not agree but thats your call
"Instant Asshole: Just Add Alcohol"
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like AMD's procs but I think Intel has them beat on raw power. I am still not impressed with the Athlon 64.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

well i am runnin a 1.8 athlon ATM and thats ok, i was meant to upgrade completely on sunday, was goin to a comp market where u could pick up a system all except a moni for like £300-£400 and they were the muts nuts,

i was gonna get a top spec board, and proc of around 3g+ and some fast ram for around £200
LavaGale
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

I "use to be" a big time AMD lover, mainly cause they were cheaper.

But my main complaint with them, you have to be too concerned about how hot they run. But I think what I disliked more than anything, (and they are getting away from this some) is that the majority of their boards use VIA chipsets. And they just stink, very buggy.

I am now a confirmed Intel chipsets lover, will never buy another board without it, things just run so much smoother and stable.
Yes I love stability. :lol:
Do you have Frog Legs?
Beeza
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Macintosh (used extensively at art college)

Kaypro "portable" (oh how far we have advanced in the area of portability lmao)

Ran windows 3.1 (yes I am dating myself here ;) ) Then I completely missed the dark ages from about 1993 to 2001. Completely bypassing windows 95, 98 NT, 28.8K modems followed by 56K modems and got a used computer with windows 2000 on it.

Now on a new system with XP Home and few things i enjoy about XP, but overall I hate it. I was almost in tears when I first started the machine up. Telly tubby land hell right before my eyes :shock:

I find XP to be less stable than win2k. Xp crashes on a frequent basis, far more than 2k ever did. I dont like how the security features got thrown out the window on XP but ... it's legit, only reason it's in use on my computer.

ps: does my old texas instruments TI99-4A count in the honorable mentions?
quicksilver
Helpful Hands
Helpful Hands

i,m a happy man as i use both Win98se and XP pro on a separate partition(dual boot). i can run all the progs i want easily :D . has any of you tried recently to upgrade to XP? you will get a nice notice when you try to update from the microsoft site ..remote procedure call , shutdown initiated by NT system authority....nice if you got a heap of patience and a few hours to spare :twisted: . ME didnt take my fancy as microsoft removed the system file checker program (sfc.exe), without that its just not for me. i have not seen the much vaunted stability of XP yet but i,ll let you know if it turns up :lol: . ps yes i know the update problem is caused by the blaster worm..a visit to microsoft before upgrading is advised.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I upgraded to XP without a problem. But I know a lot of people that have problems. What I did was as soon as it booted into XP for the first time I enabled the firewall and it kept me relatively safe until I installed my router.
Layzie Bone (wanabe)
Court Jester

beeza you might want to go to windows update, my computer runs win xp home and it hasn't crashed in nearly a year if not longer, my computer has been running for about 400 days non stop...of course there has been the occasional reboot...

I do like Mandrake Linux, very stable kernel, but it's GUI is a little shakey, looks sharp, however, most hardware is compatible, needs more support for win modems though.

I find windows xp to be impecabily slow, yeah booting is reasonably fast, but it's a memory hog, or it puts too much junk in the page file, infact I never had to enable a page file for linux.

I haven't tested to find out which OS is the most stable, takes too much time, obviously almost everyone will say linux all the way, because they are, almost any serious webserver uses linux or unix. But windows xp is remarkably stable, I actually find that windows 2000 crashes more often, but because each computer uses different hardware, performance varies.

Only time xp crashed was over the display driver...only thing my computer did was reboot. To run windows xp fast, I would reccomend over 512 MB of dual channel ram, I have 256 MB DDR RAM at 266 MHz, and I'm overall satisfied, but there's always room for speed.
dogmeat
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Patrick Norton and Kevin Rose backup about me up about XP on The Screen Savers. They also mentioned something important too. A lot of people having problems with XP used the option to upgrade from an older OS. That can cause some conflicts. It's better to start from scratch.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

i have upgraded a few times from older OS's and its been fine, but its better to start from fresh with the clean install, besides XP is bootable and so can be installed straight after a format so really there aint much need to install over a older OS
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ha ha, I was helping clean 0out the main office this morning and stumbled across Win 3.1 floppies.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

even in this day and age there is still need as use for floppies although many of us would hate 2 admit it
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I put my drivers onto floppy and boot disks for working on friends PC's.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

exactly