What Operating System Do You Like Best?

From software to hardware, breakthough to disaster, it all belongs here!

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

evildildo
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

winblows ME
Please don't visit http://www.evildildo.org
ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

If I had to choose which is hard because I like XP Pro and 2000

I would have to say 98se was the best to me....
Never really like XP Homeless, didnt feel right

i have used 3.1 95 98 98se Me and XP Home

So their is my answer......
The Monthly world, daily struggle!
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Windows 2003 is a nice OS. You need to do some things before you have it all up and running and some programs won't work but it's very very fast.

For daily usage Windows XP.

SuSe is also nice OS if you want to try something different.
ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

98se has a few quirks in it, but all in all it was a good operating system. But i have noticed its functionality drop in the last year. With all the new software being grafted toward XP and beyond, it is now lacking in ability to run correctly. Also, alot of the keys are starting to drop, I had one guy get locked off the internet because his key finally expired.

Microsoft Rules All
The Monthly world, daily struggle!
John Riddler
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker
Location: I come from a place were there is a saying, and it goes "From here on there be Dragons"

ive used ...
MS-Dos 5
Windows 3.1
Windows 3.5
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98 se
Windows NT
Window 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP home
Windows XP pro

im on xp home at the mo
best 1 is 98 SE its easy to use
KrazyKid
A Forum Addict
A Forum Addict

Why doesn't anyone seem to like Mac in here? I have a Dell with Windows XP Home ed, and I like it, but my favorite OS is deffinetly Mac OS X. Very stable, the graffics are incredible, just altogether a more pleasent experiance.
KrazyKid
My new site is up!
thatothersite.net
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow...

On the forums right now:
Guest » Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 95; BCD2000)
IE 5.5, Windows 95... someone doesn't want to upgrade! :o
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

battye wrote:Wow...

On the forums right now:
Guest » Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows 95; BCD2000)
IE 5.5, Windows 95... someone doesn't want to upgrade! :o
Wow indeed. :lol:

I'm using XP PRO SP3 , its way more stable then Winblows ME which I use to use before I installed XP.
I'm never going to install Vista.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can now add Mac OS X (Leopard) to the list I posted in 25 Mar 2004. It does it's job well, although admittedly I've only used it for very basic purposes.

I'm with you about Vista P2P, from what I've heard (haven't used it) it is a lot worse than XP. Having said that, the next laptop I buy in the coming years will probably be Vista because it's getting harder to find new XP laptops now...
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

battye wrote:I'm with you about Vista P2P, from what I've heard (haven't used it) it is a lot worse than XP. Having said that, the next laptop I buy in the coming years will probably be Vista because it's getting harder to find new XP laptops now...
I have used it, and that didn't make me like it any more. Right now I'm dual booting Vista and Kubuntu. It's been a while since I've had to boot into Vista.

Two options for getting XP:

1. Order Vista Business, which will allow you to downgrade and might even have an option to factory load XP. It costs $100 more than Vista Home Basic, but that's what we do at work.
2. Dell and some other manufacturers install CD checks your hardware before installing to make sure it's the right brand. If you put a Dell XP disk into a Dell Vista machine, it should install without any trouble. Of course, I assume that the machine this disk came with is no longer running.
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

hehehe! It's me!

I'm running Windows 95 in Virtual Machine in Firefox 1.5.12

I have used:

Windows 1.0
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98 SE
Windows Me
Windows 2000
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2008
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Mandrake Linux 8.1
Mandriva Linux 2007
Ubuntu 7.14
Ubuntu 8.04
Fedora (dont remeber the version)
DOS 5.0
DOS 6.22

May favorite? wow. Probably vista, I do like, can be a pain at times.

Which is the most groundbreaking? Windows 95, big leap, hell im using it right now. :wink:
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I briefly used one of the original versions of Windows NT in the early 90's (around 1993 or so), and I used 3.1 on occasion - never on my own computer though. Windows has really come a long way, you have to give credit to Microsoft for the way they have developed the computer industry... although the hardcore Mac supporters will claim Microsoft always copied Apple :P

Layzie Bone

Well Microsoft kinda has copied apple, but apple got the idea from xerox. So, everyone is guilty.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Everyone gets an idea from someone else. Just like the iPod, there were MP3 players around before Apple made the iPod, they just weren't very good. Apple recognised this and decided to make a good MP3 player. The rest is history.

Even the iPhone. I'm sure there must have been touch screen phones before the iPhone (I can't think of any models off the top of my head though...) but Apple saw that this was an area yet to be fully explored, and decided to make that market their own.