WCS 1.8.6

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

p2p-sharing-rules

Raven and Mind updated WCS.
Most of you know that myself and a WinMX user / programmer called Mind put together this community project I guess you'd call it, with 2 goals in mind.. To fix the bugs present in other versions of WCS to extend the life of WCS and give users a good alternative to the buggy versions so WCS users won't have to worry about being exploited any further.

He took the 1.83 code and properly fixed replaces, added features from 1.85 and added a few new features. He did the hard work and he put up with me so he deserves all the credit. ty again
mxmadness
Changes since WCS 1.83..

Fixed Replace bugs

Added /logout command
Added /addaccess command (* access is needed)
Added /remaccess command (* access is needed)
Added c for caps access
Added /setcolor command (optional)
Added rename message (optional)
Added country look ups (optional)

Removed updates

Edited / updated some code to bring wcs up to speed.

For optional features ..

/setcolor is an optional feature
BlockColourOverride=0/1 toggles the use of /setcolor

rename message is an optional feature
ShowRename=0/1 toggles the use of rename message
RenameMessage=$OLDNAME$ is now known as $NEWNAME$

country lookups is an optional feature
add ipdb.dat to enable it
$COUNTRYNAME$ is added to fancy entry
Thank you for update Raven & Mind! :cheers:
Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Hmmm having eagerly anticipated this release, and finally being able to test it i have a few comments.

Firstly id like to say im disappointed to see one of my "nicks" in the sample config as a blocked name - clearly a professional and non-personal addition!

The i read through the "WCS Docs" which has no mention of any help for the new changes made.
And i was disappointed to not see a changelog of some sort in the "package" release to at least tell people what is new for when/if this package is passed over to friends. Wouldn't want KM getting stick for someone elses mistakes :)

Finally, for the bug fix on replaces and newline access for users. For those without N or * access 580 is the maximum limit on messages sent (beyond the 400 characters normally sent by clients) but those with N access can spam a room with 7434 characters? This seems a little extreme to me and contra to what i was lead to believe the actual fix was designed to fix.

All in all i would say well done for trying to sort the issues that were causing problems for users, however I believe you have not really lived up to what it was you promised pre-modifications, and have fallen short of releasing a KM quality package for hosts to use. Releasing it under the WCS label will only excite and then let down users of this program.
]2aven
In Memory Of Raven
In Memory Of Raven

Jeesh.. I guess I can't go anywhere on WinMX without having to deal with Richy's nonsense. I don't know who's site this is so I'm gonna try and restrain myself for the time being.
The i read through the "WCS Docs" which has no mention of any help for the new changes made.
And i was disappointed to not see a changelog of some sort in the "package" release to at least tell people what is new for when/if this package is passed over to friends. Wouldn't want KM getting stick for someone elses mistakes
KM himself never posted any packages that included documentation, change logs, etc. The proof.. http://wcs.mxstuff.org/?download So I don't see how this is any kind of mistake. All the required info for this release was posted with the download.
Finally, for the bug fix on replaces and newline access for users. For those without N or * access 580 is the maximum limit on messages sent (beyond the 400 characters normally sent by clients) but those with N access can spam a room with 7434 characters? This seems a little extreme to me and contra to what i was lead to believe the actual fix was designed to fix.
The limits on replaces were byte limits, so these magic numbers that Richy dreamed up are merely his way of trying to find something wrong with this release. Since Mind is an actual C programmer and Richy is not, I'll trust that the limits he came up with were necessary for the fix to work properly.

Also, multiline replaces for users with N access were never an issue, therefore they were left alone.

WCS 1.8.6 is a great release. It's bug free, exploit free, and very stable. Which is more that I can say for RSWCS.
Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I'm sorry Raven if you believe my testing was incorrect, i would love to know exactly which limit of the bytes used fro users without N access limits it to 580 characters when there is clearly no problems with the length as proven in the version i released. Mind may well be a C programmer, but stating that i'm not when clearly i am programming in C is not exactly a fruitful statement.

The comment about a change log was only because with km's releases they were official, and therefore unofficial releases of WCS should really state (within the package set up for d/l) how it has been modded from the last official release.

Finally
WCS 1.8.6 is a great release. It's bug free, exploit free, and very stable. Which is more that I can say for RSWCS.
care to back your statement up and explain which bugs, exploits and general problems you have found in say...my latest release 1.9.1 as i have kindly actually attempted to find out for myself the "issues" i believe are in 1.8.6
I'm sorry to the mod's on this forum but i feel a statement made like that that actually claims errors and deliberate "exploits" should really be backed up and made to explain the reasoning without taking a general sweeping statement having not even tested the program.
]2aven
In Memory Of Raven
In Memory Of Raven

There is no REAL point to what your saying Richy. The limits don't even matter. They were put in place to..
a) prevent buffer overflow
b) prevent flooding
c) prevent replaces from being abused

All your saying is that you think the limits should be x and we think they should be x. What's your point? This isn't a bug, issue, annoyance, or anything like that.

As far as change logs go.. some people include them some people post them and some people do both. There's no REAL point to what you're saying there either.

I'm not impressed by your continued WCS bashing.(no matter what version) This just shows how unprofessional and childish you really are.

If you want to continue this nonsense, post it your own forum. This forum should not be used for your childish games.
p2p-sharing-rules

I was worried something like this would happen, Richy you had your say and Raven stated her side.
Seems to me Mind fixed the security issues that you're complaining about Richy.
Richy, I don't understand why you are bashing WCS releases considering you server RSWCS is made from the same WCS source code that KM released.

If you two want to continue arguing , Please can you take it to your forums, PM, IM or whatever.
This forum is not to be used for childish arguments, next person who posts continuing the above argument will have their post removed from this thread , maybe banned or other consequences.
]2aven
In Memory Of Raven
In Memory Of Raven

I have made some updates to the WCS Release..

http://mxmadness.org/forum/index.php?topic=1421.0

All anyone had to do is nicely let me know the old documentation was added by mistake, not the new one that was posted on the site. If posting the fixed versions of WCS / WCB is gonna cause drama for you guys, it's fine with me if you want to remove them. I'd would definately understand.
p2p-sharing-rules

Thanks for the update Raven. ;)
Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Have you noticed how hostname lookups (and therefore country lookups) hardly ever work in WCS, all versions? Or only work for some people and not all?

Raven, as Mind is your "expert" C programmer have himtake a look over DNS Servers that are used...
Maybe that will fix that bug you seem to have missed.

:)
]2aven
In Memory Of Raven
In Memory Of Raven

Firstly, I think you were asked by the admins of this site to take your BS to your own site or pm's or whatever.

Secondly, Mind is not MY programmer. We are 2 people from the community who had the resources and knowledge to issue a WCS fix when it was obvious that no one else was going to. WCS is a good ol server worth fixing and WCS hosts are worth helping.

This release was meant to fix the serious crash bugs caused by replaces. The new features were added as a bonus only. There are no plans for another release at this time.

The DNS issues for host name look up that you're talking about has always been an issue and hopefully someone will be willing to improve on them in the future, idk. But I'm pretty certain that has nothing to do with the country look ups. It's my understanding that's done from ip, hence the ip database. When the database loads the server message reads .. IP to Country Database Imported and just to be certain I tested it before I made this post since I happen to have the dns issues for host name on my home connection and it still shows country even though I cant get host name. So..

I would think with all the issues RSWCS has right now your time would be better spent working on those. You seem more concerned with WCS / WCS users these days than you do with your own. I hate to tell you but you're not the ruler of all things WCS or WCS source codes. In other words, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!!
Røçkåfë££ë® §kåñK
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

I was pointing out another bug in WCS that needs fixing. not "BS". As ive said before i would love for you to demonstrate or even explain "all the issues RSWCS has right now".

Im concerned for WCS and RSWCS users as they are one and the same userbase.
As far as me calling Mind yours, please dont get me wrong, i didnt mean it in an insulting way i simply meant he has the knowledge and ability to read and fix these issues. You seem very jumpy about mentioning bugs in WCS. Clearly this is not an extreme bug since WCS does continue operating with it, however you released a bug fix for WCS and i was pointing out another bug that still needs fixing if possible!

Why you feel the need to bring me or RSWCS into this after YOU have also been asked to leave that discussion alone, when my post was on topic and entirely related to the thread title, i will never know. It was simply constructive criticism.
]2aven
In Memory Of Raven
In Memory Of Raven

OK fine.. I really don't want to get myself banned from this forum but you're leaving me no choice because if I don't respond you'll just keep bashing WCS for as long as you can get away with it.

So now all of the sudden there's another bug in WCS regarding host name lookup. Everyone knows about this issue as it's something that's always been there but you fail to mention that it's present is RSWCS also..

Not only that you imply country look ups don't work because of it, which just isn't true. Basically you'll say anything to make WCS look bad in a lame attempt to get WCS users to switch.

Same thing with the replace bugs. You open a thread claiming you've fixed them and bash WCS for not having them fixed yet. Pretty nasty thing to do since even today your replaces are still broken..

I don't even know what this one is. The triggers are showing at the end???

What kind of a help directory is this?? Ascii pictures?? Blank Spaces?? Where are the rest of the commands?? It looks like a child made this. What is /emote ?? Another one of your hidden exploits??

Speaking of hidden exploits ..
1.8.8:1 released at 17:00 on 03/02/2009

* Well, it appears I have dropped a bollock! So I apoligise! For a while now i have been trying to implement
a new feature, remote config editor (which many of you will know about if not check the forum) and it seems
some of my test commands I have been using to work up to this feature were not "commented" out i.e. disabled
in the last release I made back in 1.8.8 so I have issued this bug fix which has these commands disabled!
Stay tuned for my next release which will have this feature fully working (I hope)!
If this was a mistake, where's the next release with the fully working feature?? or any kind of feature that resembles remote access??? That was 3 releases ago!!

I actually have much more CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM as you call it, but I think that will do for now.

I would appreciate it if you would stop hopping from room to room and bashing WCS, but I won't take it too personally as I hear you been bashing FXS and ZCS also. Is this the only way you get users for RSWCS?