Tribler Set to Make BitTorrent Sites Obsolete

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

p2p-sharing-rules

The Tribler BitTorrent client, a project run by researchers from several European universities and Harvard, is the first to incorporate decentralized search capabilities. With Tribler, users can now find .torrent files that are hosted among other peers, instead of on a centralized site such as The Pirate Bay or Mininova.
TorrentFeak
Nice the 1st decentralized BitTorrent client.
nesman
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

I wonder how they manage the connections. With WinMX there had to be a central server to point you to other peers. With Bit Torrent, you use a tracker. Without some central server, how do you know where the first of your peers is? Randomly try to connect to IP addresses on the internet until you find another Tribler?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

nesman wrote:I wonder how they manage the connections. With WinMX there had to be a central server to point you to other peers. With Bit Torrent, you use a tracker. Without some central server, how do you know where the first of your peers is? Randomly try to connect to IP addresses on the internet until you find another Tribler?
That's got me stumped too. Once you have one connection, that it would be easy enough to source other people (ie. look at who your connections are connected to, and who their connections are connected to etc etc), but finding that first peer would be a challenge.

Maybe there will be websites distributing the equivalent of .wsx files like on OpenNap to get you started.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

I'm assuming it detects what BT client the user is using like Utorrent detects what BT client users are using in your peers tab in Utorrent & Tribler connects to other users that are using Tribler or something similar.
I think it'll make it easier for the cartel to flood the search results with fake torrents. Unless they can add a option so users can self police it. Maybe add a comments option so people can warn other users if the torrent is fake like torrent sites now or rating system to warn other people.