SpiralFrog

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

http://www.spiralfrog.com/
Free Downloads of Music and Videos
whats the catch you say? Well just a few.
1. Only open to Canadian and American users
2. SpiralFrog is an ad-supported Web site.

Membership
To keep your membership active, all we ask is that you visit us at least once a month and answer a few easy questions. As of now, you currently have 29 days left on your monthly membership. To get started, simply sign in below and click the continue button to begin renewing your membership for another 30 days.

How come there's no cost – what's the catch?
SpiralFrog is an ad-supported Web site. We sell ads on our pages to advertisers who want to talk to you. And we give the majority of that advertising revenue to the music publishers and labels who own the music you're downloading.
Most of our song and video downloads take a short, consistent amount of time to complete, during which we encourage you to keep discovering new areas of the Web site. Every page you visit allows us to serve more advertising, thus building the revenues we can pay to the content creators.

Is It Compatible With MP3 Players?
SpiralFrog is compatible with portable music players and music phones that support Windows Digital Rights Management (DRM). Look out for devices that prominently display the “PlaysForSure” logo.
You can transfer the music files you download from SpiralFrog to up to two portable devices – a portable player and cell phone, for example. For the most part, simply treat our music exactly the same as you would any other music file on your computer, and follow the instructions you are provided by the manufacturer of the device you’re transferring the music to.

You're not compatible with Apple’s iPod, or the new Microsoft Zune player, right?
We're not compatible with these devices. However, the songs and videos you download from SpiralFrog will play on any computer platform capable of running Windows XP or Windows Vista, as well as all portable devices or cell phones that play WMA music files and have implemented the Windows DRM support.
Sometimes when you cry... no one sees your tears.
Sometimes when you are worried... no one sees your pain.
Sometimes when you are happy... no one sees your smile.
But fart just one damn time ...
(¯`·._.·[GUEST 601]·._.·´¯)

smile you're on candid camera Image
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good find Garmy. Can you burn their songs to CD? (I know I can't use the service anyway though :P )
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

they said you can treat the files like you would any other file. so that would mean a yes to me. But,... there's always a but, i can't be 100% sure. i would almost think that they would make the files hard to share and/or burn. as to not get caught up in a messy RIAA battle.

oh just another catch i forgot to mention. you have to install their downloading manager. and also the newest windows media player. still deciding if this is something i want to keep.

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't know the finer details of DRM, but if you burnt one of their songs to CD, would anything stop you from then using CDex to rip it to an mp3?
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

i'm not sure battye. that question is deff worth looking into tho.

garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

SpiralFrog is compatible with portable music players and music phones that support Windows Digital Rights Management (DRM). Look out for devices that prominently display the “PlaysForSure” logo.
well i'm thinking that spiralfrog site is letting ppl d/l music with DRM features.. and then those files can only be used on devices that support DRM

itunes you can burn to cd and then rip that cd, it gets rid of the drm. give it a shot, only wreck a cd if it won't work

mmm ahh the d/l manager won't let you do it, i bet

i'm thinking so

this is only a brief excerpt from a convo with a friend regarding DRM

garmabeaneth
Dancing Queen
Dancing Queen

Well its been almost a month since I installed SpiralFrog. I think I've downloaded one song. One of the stipulations is that you have to log in at least once a month and take surveys. I haven't been doing that and this is the email I received today.

Your monthly membership to SpiralFrog will lapse in two days’ time. You can renew your FREE membership to SpiralFrog.
Our renewal process is easy. Every 30 days, simply give us two minutes of your time and complete a short survey that'll help us better understand your needs.
If you decide not to renew your membership, you will no longer be able to download songs and video from SpiralFrog, and the music you have already downloaded will eventually cease to play. (Please note that if you decide to renew your membership at any time, all the music and videos you’ve previously downloaded will immediately become playable once more.)

Interesting that the files will no longer play on the pc.