Demonoid Shut Down by the CRIA?

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

p2p-sharing-rules

I was wondering why I couldn't connect to it in the last couple of days.
I did a google search to find out why and found the following article. :(
Demonoid.com, one of the most popular BitTorrent trackers has allegedly been taken offline by the Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA). Both the tracker and the website have been unresponsive for nearly 24 hours now.
Torrentfreak
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's bad news all round. I was always under the impression that the CRIA was more lenient than their southern counterparts. :(
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
ADi@/\/TUM
Flower Child
Flower Child

That is very unfortunate, they have great releases and generally a good bunch of peeps
The Monthly world, daily struggle!
p2p-sharing-rules

Demonoid is online again you just can't access the site from Canada.
I use a proxy to access the site.
We received a letter from a lawyer represeting the CRIA, they were threatening with legal action and We need to start blocking Canadian traffic because of this. If you reside in Canada, that is the reason you are being redirected to this message. Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds a bit like when Sherman Networks blocked Kazaa, but only to Australian and New Zealand IP addresses.

Not that getting to the Kazaa website was ever something you'd want to do :lol:
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

Demonoid is shutdown thanx to are friends @ the CRIA . :roll:
If you go to demonoid's site you get this message now.
The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

p2p-sharing-rules wrote:Demonoid is shutdown thanx to are friends @ the CRIA . :roll:
If you go to demonoid's site you get this message now.
The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.
Damn it!

Is Demonoid hosted in Canada? Haha, I wonder if it's world's worst host Canaca... lmao :lol:

Maybe they should consider a move overseas. IIRC WinMX went with Vanuatu, and I know many other high profile servers are located in eastern Europe where the copyright laws are a bit more relaxed.

p2p-sharing-rules

Demonoid Shuts Down Again
Yes it is hosted in Canada. I hope they find another host in another country.
p2p-sharing-rules

Demonoid update: forum online
The above link is a story on p2pnet about demonoid's forum being online again.Registration for the forum is closed.I tried my old username & password and it still works.

This info was added demonoid's homepage.
"We have brought online a forum in order to help the community stay together. This forum is not file sharing related in any way, it's just a mean to help the community stay together - please read the forum rules before posting. You can use your Demonoid account info to log in.

You can visit the forum by clicking here"
p2p-sharing-rules

It now seems that there’s some good news for Deimos as The Pirate Bay is offering their help. In fact, they claim to have two servers lined up for Demonoid already. Pirate Bay’s Brokep made this public in a recent interview on the Subdemon techcast where he said: “We tried to contact the guys behind Demonoid and we’ve set up a tracker for them but they haven’t responded. But, we have two servers running for them if they want to set it up.” Brokep also says that he hasn’t heard back from Deimos yet, but it sure is a great gesture.

In the remainder of the interview Brokep and the interviewers discuss some of the recent news surrounding The Pirate Bay, such as the huge pile of paperwork they received last month, the new protocol they have been developing, and the explosive growth of their tracker. It is definitely worth listening to, and I’m looking forward to the next episodes of this podcast, and to more news surrounding Demonoid.
TorrentFreak
You can download a torrent to download the podcast here.
I hope Deimos takes up the offer from the Pirate Bay & reopens demonoid. I miss the site so much. It was one of my favorite torrent sites to search for torrents.
p2p-sharing-rules