[WinMX] uploads keep timing out

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

jacesmith25
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

hi,
could you please tell me why all the people trying to upload fro me keep timing out waitin for connection.
about a week or so ago i had a problem reciving files from others. but now its the other way around
my firewall is set to un-able. i cant make a pimary connection as winmx will not work correctly if i do. my incoming port is set to 6699 and my UDP sert to 6257 (which i have tried setting to unable to recive to see if that hepled but it didn't).
i am on bt voyager 2000 (if thats of any help)
i am quite new to computers
thank you for your time
jace
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tried changing the ports to:

TCP: 16699
UDP: 16257

Good luck! :)
Btw, welcome to the forum! :D
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
jacesmith25
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

ok tried that but now it's just stuck i orange saying waiting for incoming connection. then timing out still.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

do you have a router or windows XP?
"Instant Asshole: Just Add Alcohol"
jacesmith25
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

i have windows xp not to sure what a router is to be honest.
Boozybaz
Alcoholic
Alcoholic

dunno why we have 2 thread for this but...

a router is a small box that splits the internet connection between more than i computer, eg you may have 1 computer and you brother/sister may have another and both run through a router then 2 the phoneline and so on, it splits the speed equally between the number of computers on it..

and if you are runnin XP you will need 2 turn your XP firewall of this can be done by following this...

control panel / network connections / right click on connection / properties / advanced / remove tick by "protect my computer"
"Instant Asshole: Just Add Alcohol"
jacesmith25
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

yes we do have more than 1 pc running. sdo i guess we do have a router. but im not sure how to access this.
we are on bt voyager 2000.
my window's xp firewall is not switched on. and has not been for about 2 weeks now.
i cant make a primary connection with winmx as it wont work correctly when i do.
i am really sorry if i am not being 100% clear here but if you tell me where to look and what i need to do i will thank you.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is what you need to look for when trying to set your ports up in your router:

It's called a Virtual server.

I got this from http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/re ... t-2000.asp

Hope this helps
jacesmith25
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

thank ive found that.
only problem now is that it's password garded and the person who might know it is away :cry:
thank you so much for your help. when i get hold of the password i will be back. :)
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

Glad I could help you out. Admin and Admin didn't work?
jacesmith25
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

hey good news.
i found the TCP/UDP numbers and changed my setting to the same and yeah its now working.
thank you so so much.
i just need to check that i can still recive files from others now and not just them from me.
thanks so much again i was at my wits end.