µTorrent

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

µTorrent is an efficient and feature rich BitTorrent client for Windows sporting a very small footprint. It was designed to use as little cpu, memory and space as possible while offering all the functionality expected from advanced clients.
http://www.utorrent.com/

It's small 98KB, fast, less than 6 MB memory, and a breeze to use. it keeps things simple yet has an impressive amount of features and will only get better since it is still in the middle of being developed..

Drawback: It does not come with an installer. You have to put it in the program files directory and create a shortcut yourself.

It's still in heave development so I am sure this will change.
p2p-sharing-rules

µTorrent 1.4 released.µTorrent 1.4 is finally out. The changes are quite overwhelming. The most notable new features are:
* Bitcomet style add dialog
* RSS Reader
* Speed wizard to select your proper settings based on upload speed.

Some other much requested features that have been added are:
* Add !ut to incomplete files
* Multi scrape
* Better download speeds from BitComet clients.

Hope you find the new release as good as the previous ones. If you have a chance, don't forget to donate to the project. There is a button at the bottom of the main page. That is greatly appreciated and means I can continue working on µTorrent.

There are tons of other features too. For the full changelog, please see:
*link not available anymore*

source:forum.utorrent

:arrow: Download µTorrent 1.4 *link not available anymore*

FAQ

Forum
p2p-sharing-rules

PS how do you use µTorrent ?
I'm lost.

edit i figured out how to search use µTorrent .
I'm downloading the new GOREROTTED CD - 'A New Dawn For The Dead ' right now, but it's downloading really slow now less then 1kb/s at 1st it was 14kb/s then went up to about 30kb/s then it slowed down :x .
p2p-sharing-rules

It must be the source for the file that's slow.
I'm downloading another file from 25 (37) peers (whatever that means) @ 60-80kb/s.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

p2p-sharing-rules wrote:It must be the source for the file that's slow.
I'm downloading another file from 25 (37) peers (whatever that means) @ 60-80kb/s.
It must be the source you getting the file from. Personally I have never used the search function of utorrent I always download the torrent I want from a BT site. Try http://www.filemp3.org/ alot there you may like :) I don't know what your connection type is but I have seen downloads of over 200kbs.
25 (37) peers (whatever that means) @ 60-80kb/s.
You are connecting to 25 of the 37 users that have the file you are downloading. You are downloading that file at 60 to 80 kilo bytes per second. :wink:

If you need any help or have any questions don't hesitate to PM me we can hook up. Like the new avy...
p2p-sharing-rules

It must be the source you getting the file from. Personally I have never used the search function of utorrent I always download the torrent I want from a BT site. Try http://www.filemp3.org/ alot there you may like I don't know what your connection type is but I have seen downloads of over 200kbs.
It was the source that was slow.I was finally able to find another source for the cd.
The search option redirects IE to BT sites Mininova,The Pirate Bay, Torrentspy, Mybittorent, ISOhunt, Pointblank, Bittorent & Google.
I'm not sure if you can add more BT sites links to it.

I downloaded the torrent's that I used to my desktop then moved them to µTorrent then deleted them after I finished downloading the files.
I wasn't sure if I can upload the torrent for other people to download the file or not.

Thank for the link I added to my favourites, I also notice you have to register too.
I might join it to check it out.

I'm on HiSpeed DSL now.I did a DSL tests at DSL report.
Here's the results:
Seatle, USA.
Your download speed : 2293 kbps or 286.6 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 616 kbps or 77 KB/sec.
SF, CA, USA
Your download speed : 2241 kbps or 280.1 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 610 kbps or 76.2 KB/sec

I guess I should limit my upload speed to between 60-75 kb/s.

200kb/s wow 8) , I got like 100kb/s once on SLSK for a couple of mins,that's the most i've ever got from any p2p that i've tried.
The other file I was downloading went down down to about 30-40kb/s.Maybe cos I went on WinMX to check out chatrooms.I also noticed people were uploading the file faster from me then my download from them.
You are connecting to 25 of the 37 users that have the file you are downloading. You are downloading that file at 60 to 80 kilo bytes per second.

If you need any help or have any questions don't hesitate to PM me we can hook up. Like the new avy...
That's what the 25 of 37 thanks.
I already knew it was kb/s.I just don't know the difference between kbps & kb/s.I thought they were the samething.
The avy I downloaded it from Iron Maiden's site.
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

P2P wrote:I downloaded the torrent's that I used to my desktop then moved them to µTorrent then deleted them after I finished downloading the files.
I wasn't sure if I can upload the torrent for other people to download the file or not.
You can go to options/preferance/folder options. There you can make the necessary adjustments for your files. In the first option "location of downloaded files" you can give specific location for your in progress download files and those completed. In the second section "storage for torrent files" you can give your torrents the same treatment. This eliminates getting incompleat files and torrents mixed up with compleated ones :wink:

Yes you can upload any of your files as well as download. Go to file/create a new torrent from there you can browse your folder(s) and select the ones you wish to upload. You have to add the tracker URL to upload to such as Mininova, The Pirate Bay etc. Or the URL of any private tracker you are a member of ** private means one you have to register to like the one I posted before, or ones with a closed membership (invite only) **.
P2P wrote:Thank for the link I added to my favorites, I also notice you have to register too
You are most welcome, Yes a lot of the BT sites require you to register with them. I am not quite sure as to why but in some instances I think it is to eliminate users from linking there torrents to other trackers but there are sites that don't require you to "sign up" give this list a try http://www.orbdesign.net/bt/
......see you on the dark side :)
p2p-sharing-rules

Thanks again.
See you the darks side too. :lol: :)
p2p-sharing-rules

*update µTorrent 1.5 (build 436) 2006-03-07*

This is the biggest release ever. The major changes are of course Peer Exchange and Protocol Encryption, in combination with optimizations to download speed and harddisk accesses.

The biggest GUI change is a new category list that sorts your torrents by label.

Changelog for µTorrent v1.5 (build 436) *link not available anymore*

µTorrent v1.5 (build 436) *link not available anymore*
p2p-sharing-rules

µTorrent 1.6 released

1.6 final is finally out, after the longest beta period in µTorrent's history. It has MANY improvements, among those being improved download/upload speeds, better handling of BitComets in the swarm, and a totally revamped disk caching system to protect your hard drives.

--- 2006-07-02: Version 1.6 (build 474)
- Fix: Autoload would not copy the torrent under some circumstances
- Fix: No mark was shown in the Label selection menu for the selected label
- Change: Always merge trackers if loading a torrent in silent mode

--- 2006-07-01: Version 1.6 (build 473)
- Feature: RSS update interval
- Feature: Remember waste/hashfails across sessions
- Feature: Removing torrent will remove partfile
- Feature: Set default action for delete button (right click on it and hold shift)
- Feature: Setup outgoing port to bind to
- Feature: Show a warning if no disk space when moving a complete torrent
- Feature: Show a warning in the add dialog if the torrent doesn't fit on the drive
- Feature: Show speed in title bar
- Feature: Show speed limits in status bar
- Feature: Shutdown/hibernate when downloads complete
- Feature: Standby when torrents complete
- Feature: Torrent create dialog remembers the previous settings

- Change: 'min interval' was misspelled.
- Change: Added buttons to select all / deselect in the add dialog
- Change: Added option not to connect to port 25 or 110
- Change: Auto Shutdown Windows available from a menu
- Change: Change so it always shows 3 digits in sizes.
- Change: Changed connections for the 384k speed
- Change: Delay firewall opening a little to help problem where utorrent starts faster than the firewall.
- Change: Don't delete torrents from list if the torrentfile wasn't found
- Change: Don't resolve peer ips by default
- Change: Don't switch between green/yellow icon too often
- Change: Don't use router.bittorrent.com
- Change: Edit button in RSS feeds window
- Change: Fixed various language strings to be more consistent
- Change: If the file cannot be opened, delay a little while and try again.
- Change: Increased length of editbox for new labels
- Change: Modified algorihtm for giving extra upload slots
- Change: More dialogs are non-modal
- Change: Never request more than 50 chunks from a bitcomet peer
- Change: New UPnP code (works on all OSes)
- Change: Redesigned settings dialog (I still need icons for the categories)
- Change: Remember the last speed tab view mode
- Change: Resolve IPs is on by default, but only if the Peers tab is active.
- Change: Separate the tracker from the webui + webui settings
- Change: Show a message in the logger if the autoload is set to the same as the storage folder.
- Change: Show a warning dialog when auto shutting down
- Change: Show better error message when adding a torrent through URL and it can't be loaded
- Change: Show decimal in download bar
- Change: Speed in title bar is shown a little differently
- Change: Swapped UL/DL in download bar
- Change: Trim spaces from tracker url in create torrent dialog
- Change: Tweaked piece selection algorithm a little
- Change: num_wsa_events to control how many WSA EVENTS to allocate
- Change: peer.lazy_bitfield enabled by default.
- Change: Changed the network status icons
- change: Moved the network status icon a bit

- Fix: Couldn't use Unicode characters with search box
- Fix: Don't allow blank filenames for single-file torrents (uses default name instead)
- Fix: Don't crash if popup menu is active while the active torrent is deselected
- Fix: Fixed Win95 problems.
- Fix: Fixed a bunch of crash bugs.
- Fix: Generals tab should flicker less
- Fix: Make the after crash re-check not re-check torrents that already finished in that session
- Fix: Never create torrents with more than 64k pieces.
- Fix: RSS Favorites list bug
- Fix: Resize some labels to make more space
- Fix: Setting upload/download limit uses the currently active limit
- Fix: Superseeding should work better
- Fix: The label entry box in the BC-style dialog is too short
- Fix: Wrap comments field
source:forum.utorrent.com
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: *download links remove*
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

Utorrent has become a great program I still continue to use this and have no faults with it. I am glad the 1.6 is out of beta stage.

Are you still using it P2P?
p2p-sharing-rules

Yes Tunebud I still use µTorrent.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

I downloaded it a few hours ago. :)

It's been quite some time since I've downloaded anything at all on BitTorrent (years probably) but I took the plunge and got uTorrent.

The file I'm downloading has 31 seeds and 19 peers, yet is only downloading at around 30kb, and uploading at around 11kb (my upstream is pretty slow... 15/16kb max, but my downstream can go up to about 650kb according the speed report, and I have experienced 700kb+ in http downloads). Is there anything I can do to make files download faster? :?

Cheers P2P :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

I find the bigger the swarm my download speed is faster , I got close to 600kb/s a couple of times downloading from a private tracker site.
I think private trackers give you faster speeds then the public ones , some might limit people who have lower uploads speeds.

check out µTorrent Guides for setting up µTorrent right.
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks P2P :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)