Project PIE & the Rebirth

Discuss the world of file sharing, from philosophy to help with applications.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

For those of you who think WinMX is gone forever and ever amen, well you're wrong.

Some dedicated users decided they would play the role of winmx.com by becoming the peer caches. Calling it Project PIE. You can download PIE Patch 2.5 from vladd44.com and install it and then, holy ***** winmx works!

Be aware that the peer caches you're connecting to are other people's PC's not rack servers like winmx.com, be patient, it's a virtue.

Everything is normal otherwise. I recommend getting sherwood if you plan on being a primary, to help keep file fakers out of the WPN.

If winmx died i sure couldn't tell, I can find stuff I want and get it...I do think queue lines are longer but thats not an issue.
Layzie Bone

have any idea when winmxworld will be back up? I havent got a chance to visit the site.
p2p-sharing-rules

Yes winmxworld, winmxgroup & mxcontrol are back online.
p2p-sharing-rules

From vladd44
PIE Patch 2.8 is now available!

It is packaged with an automatic installer for those who wish to use it. It has been translated into 14 different languages to support a truly international community. A manual version is also available if you wish to view the entries and add them yourself.

Great work and a big thanks to all involved, especially to Bob and Unique for programming and testing, Sam for the logo design, and Sable and the entire translation team for adding a wide assortment of supported languages.

Just to clarify a few issues:

1. The new installer will not overwrite existing non-WinMX related entries in your hosts file. So those of you who use spyware programs that add entries to the hosts file will no longer have to manually add those back in.

2. Certain anti-spyware utilities such as Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Windows XP Anti-Spyware, and WinPatrol monitor your hosts file so you will be prompted that it was changed after the PIE Patch is installed. Accept these changes in order to take advantage of PIE Patch.

3. PIE Patch 2.8 does not remove or alter the dll fix from Winmxgroup. If you wish to use PIE Patch and you have installed the dll, you will need to remove it yourself prior to installing PIE Patch.

4. Some of the peer caches now have the ability to test default TCP and UDP ports, this means that the WinMX Setup Wizard works once again. The installer updates the entries in the hosts file in order for a user to connect to the test server. It does not configure the ports itself.

5. The installer does not disable firewalls and there are no plans to ever include such a feature.
:arrow: MXPie's download page to download the PIE patch , WinMX & Third-party Tools and Add-ons.

If your using any older versions of the PIE Patch I recommend you upgrade ASAP & install PeerGuardian or Sherwood if you're a primary connection to help block the Cartels from flooding the WinMX Peer Network with fake files & attacking it.

Thanks to Gemini777, Vladd , THE MXPIE Team , Vladd44 & MXPie. :D
Thanks to Peerguardian & Sherwood for creating great software to block the Cartels. :D
p2p-sharing-rules

Quoted from Vladd44
PIE Patch 2.9 is now available!
http://www.mxpie.com/downloads.html

The major changes of PIE Patch 2.9 are:

WinMX Setup Wizard works again!
In PIE Patch version 2.9 Ranma’s new software allows port testing on ALL ports. In version 2.8 we were using specific servers and only on the default ports.

Quote:
As a clarification, since I walked two people thru setup in the last 24 hours, the MXpie patch needs to be installed before WinMX in order to make use of the Port Testing feature.<--Bob

PIE. 2.9 allows users the choice of manually or automatically deleting other patches.
It uses a clearly marked check box to choose. Then it uses a radio button to confirm.

A word on rebooting after a PIE Patch upgrade:
If you need to reboot, the installer will inform you of this and give you the option of rebooting immediately or doing it later.
If you have no patch installed or an older version of the PIE/MXpie patch is installed, a reboot will most likely not be required.
Replacing some other patches may require you to reboot!

[The above changes are in addition to the benefits of PIE Patch 2.8, such as:

Being packaged with an automatic installer for those who wish to use it. It has been translated into 14 different languages to support a truly international community. A manual version is also available if you wish to view the entries and add them yourself.

The WinMX champions are the users:

1. The new installer will not overwrite existing non-WinMX related entries in your hosts file. So those of you who use spyware programs that add entries to the hosts file will no longer have to manually add those back in.

2. Certain anti-spyware utilities such as Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Windows XP Anti-Spyware, and WinPatrol monitor your hosts file so you will be prompted that it was changed after the PIE Patch is installed. Accept these changes in order to take advantage of PIE Patch.

3. Some  scratch that, ALL of the peer caches now have the ability to test default TCP and UDP ports, this means that the WinMX Setup Wizard works once again. The installer updates the entries in the hosts file in order for a user to connect to the test server. It does not configure the ports itself.

4. The installer does not disable firewalls and there are no plans to ever include such a feature. Since Sygate has been discontinued, we are actively searching for a good free firewall. We have a link to Sygate for now. Windows firewall is also better than nothing.
Ultimately it’s the users responsibility to maintain their own proper firewalls and anti malware / virus programs
Thanks to the MXPIE Team. 8) :D
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the update P2P :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
p2p-sharing-rules

YW Battye :D .I was a little late posting about the update by only 4 days.
Sorry,I wasn't paying to much attention to their updates.
p2p-sharing-rules

PIE Patch 2.12 is now available!

Patch updates changes in peercache status and IP addresses.
Fixes current slow connection problems.
p2p-sharing-rules

IE Patch 3.1 now available.

Fixes bug causing Australia, Asia, and Africa regions to not connect.
Removes WinMX Group controlled caches due to irresponsible actions by the owner.
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
p2p-sharing-rules

MXPIE Patch for connecting to WinMX is now available. Only change from previous version is the removal of one IP that no longer has a functioning peer cache server at that address.
Last edited by p2p-sharing-rules on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
p2p-sharing-rules

Quoted from Vladd44
NEW!! We now provide a new alternative to our standard MXpie Patch. The new version Automatically updates peer cache information, and includes an automatically updating blocking file to run in conjunction with PeerGuardian Lite. Both are done in a transparent and easily verifiable way. There are also options to disable one or both of the AutoUpdating Functions as well. This is in an effort to give Users full control over what happens on their computer. We do not believe such things should be left to blind faith.

This solution will overwrite your hosts file, if you use any program that makes use of the hosts file you would be advised to continue to use the older options still listed below.

The "Pie Auto Updater" is intended to be an all inclusive solution for 2000/2003/XP users who wish to resolve connectivity and never need to download additional updates again.

Simply download the installer, and run. You will see two icons in your system tray. One for PGlite, the other is the "Pie Auto Updater" which will automatically keep your guarding.p2p and hosts files current.

For those who wish to use the older versions of PIE patch, they will continue to be maintained.

Some antivirus programs, antispyware programs and firewalls block modification of the hosts file. If there is a problem after you install, reinstall with those items turned off. We also provide a manual way to modify your hosts file (Manual Install) if you would prefer to do the change yourself.
Searcher
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Hi all, just a few words of info that may be helpful to someone :)

I read in the week about foks complaining the blocklist is not being correctly implemented on the new auto patch, with this in mind myself and Nobby have spoken about the issue and hopefully resolved the minor hold up in keeping the list up to date with flooder IP's.

I hope this meets with the approval of all winmx users as while we unite to block the flooders there is renewed hope for a better and bigger community for us all in the future.

ok hard work done here, back to the fun and d/l's..lol
p2p-sharing-rules

8) That's good news that the blocklist problems were sorted out.
when I 1st tried the new patch it wasn't blocking macrovision ect ...from connecting to me when I connected as a primary user.I might try it out again now that the blocklist problem is sorted out.