The Articles Topic

All updates to the site will be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

p2p-sharing-rules wrote:People still use WinMX cause it has a great community atmosphere kind of like a family .It has the chat rooms which is a great place to meet people and develop friendships with your fellow users who have the same interest as yourself , unlike other networks where they don't have a community type feeling to them. If WinMX didn't have the chat room built in to it, maybe WinMX wouldn't be around anymore.When FrontCode pulled the plug the chat rooms acted as an important gathering place for all the tech users to get together to find ways to save the network from dying.
Good points. I think the community concept is very, very important. Just look at OpenNap, after all of these years OpenNap is still surviving because it has a strong group of communities behind it.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Articles Bot
Forum Bot
Forum Bot

By July 2008, Microsoft intend to take Windows XP off the market for regular consumers, while computer manufacturers have until the end of the year. Of course, that is not to say it will definitely happen. If enough people make their concerns clear to Microsoft, they may rethink the action, as they ...

Read more
View all articles at http://www.cricketmx.com/articles/
I'm only a forum bot!
p2p-sharing-rules

HELP SAVE XP Petition.
Please sign the above petition , if enough people sign it, maybe It'll convince M$ to extend XP's support lifecycle.
Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I signed it, why not. Is there an official press release from Microsoft about this? This is the first I heard about them wanting to stop sales of XP.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Vista. I recently purchases a couple of laptops with Vista and I kinda like it. It isn't as bad as I thought originally. I still love XP though but I am willing to upgrade if necessary.

But concerning the topic, stopping the sale of XP will be very bad for Microsoft. They will lose money and will force more people to Macs and Linux. This is definitely a strategy Microsoft should reconsider.
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grinch wrote:I signed it, why not. Is there an official press release from Microsoft about this? This is the first I heard about them wanting to stop sales of XP.

I'm thinking of upgrading to Vista. I recently purchases a couple of laptops with Vista and I kinda like it. It isn't as bad as I thought originally. I still love XP though but I am willing to upgrade if necessary.

But concerning the topic, stopping the sale of XP will be very bad for Microsoft. They will lose money and will force more people to Macs and Linux. This is definitely a strategy Microsoft should reconsider.
On TV I heard a good plan - if you want to buy a new computer, then go with Vista. It's the future, you might as well go with the flow. If you have an existing computer (with no intention of buying a new one) then stick with XP - you know it will run, you don't need any additional hardware or upgrades, and it is still a good operating system. I think that would be a good idea for most people, unless you are hellbent on upgrading your current PC, just stick with XP until you make your next purchase.
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
Articles Bot
Forum Bot
Forum Bot

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is due to get a new service pack update. Service Pack 3 (SP3) is due to hit the streets relatively soon. Currently, SP3 is at Release Candidate 1 (RC1). For those of us still using XP here is what you can look forward to with the new service pack.

Windows XP SP3 i...

Read more
I'm only a forum bot!
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good article Grinch :)

I'm assuming SP3 is not like SP2 - I've heard some people say that the upgrade to SP2 was like a "new operating system". I remember when I upgraded to SP2 it killed Firefox and another half a dozen of so applications (needless to say, without Firefox I subsequently did a system restore back a few days to get back to SP1. :P) Do you think there is any danger of the same happening in SP3 in terms of breaking applications?

Grinch
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't think SP3 will be anything like SP2. SP2 pretty much overhauled XP and did indeed break a lot of stuff. It was a nightmare for a lot of people. I am expecting SP3 to be a smooth transition. From what I can tell it is going to add functionality that is built in to Vista and will help it interact with Windows 2008 Server better.
p2p-sharing-rules

Good article grinch. :)
Good to hear it might not be a nightmare like SP2 updates.
Articles Bot
Forum Bot
Forum Bot

The BitTorrent tracker acts as the middle man between two peers sharing files over the BitTorrent protocol. Often combined with a BitTorrent index (the list of files available) it is often the point where a download is initiated, and provides a plethora of statistics to users, such as how many seeds...

Read more
I'm only a forum bot!
Layzie Bone
Mr. Computergeek Salad Guy

Microsoft will allow system builders such as Dell, Gateway, HP and so on to continue to sell new PC's with Windows XP until June 30, 2008. White-box system builders, such as the store that I work at, will have until January 30, 2009. Mainstream support (free) for Windows XP will end in April 2009, extended support for security fixes and bug until 2014.(1) Windows XP will linger around for still, a very long time. I would have to say that Windows XP has earned the right to be the best release of Windows since Windows 95. I'm sure you're thinking that Windows 95 sucks, but think about what you're choices were back then.

No word as to when Service Pack 3 for XP will be released. Microsoft has since released a RC (Release Candidate) of XPSP3 and Vista SP1 to MSDN and TechNet testers. A public test build should have been available back on the 10th, I haven't looked to see if there is one avialable.(2)

The biggest thing that I see is that there's not much more that a typical person needs to be able to do on thier PC which is why nothing is really changing. Windows Vista has a lot of new features, but how many people will be using all those blows and whistles? How many people use Windows Media Center? The people I deal with will never use more than 3-4 applications, which those are: Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Solitare and Microsoft Word. That's why we still have quite a few people using Windows 98, Me, 2000, and the vast majority is on XP.

Sources:
(1): ZDNet - Is Windows XP too Good for Microsoft's Own Good? - Mary Jo Foley - Sept. 27, 2007 - Follow Link
(2): ZDNet - Windows XP: What's Really Happening on June 20, 2008 - Mary Jo Foley - Jan. 14, 2008 - Follow Link
Layzie Bone

Articles Bot wrote:
The BitTorrent tracker acts as the middle man between two peers sharing files over the BitTorrent protocol. Often combined with a BitTorrent index (the list of files available) it is often the point where a download is initiated, and provides a plethora of statistics to users, such as how many seeds...

Read more
The problem I see with BitTorrent is that anyone that goes on to mininova can potientially see what I might be seeding, it can be anyone, could be the RIAA, who knows. When I was in college back in 2005, I got busted on BitTorrent, wasn't a real big deal. The college has since then cracked down a lot on "copyright infringement." What we need is security on P2P, a way to keep the good in and the bad out. My idea would be to run a FTP server, which the server will only accept a particular login from a specific IP range, yes this makes it impossible to go from 2 diffent locations. If you didn't quite get that here's an example:

I'm at home, my IP is 69.125.78.119 my login is joe123, I get access.
Here's what wont work.
I'm at work, my Ip is 70.138.2.254 my login joe123, Access is denied. Why The IP address is not in range for that account.
This would work, I'm at home again, but my IP has changed.
69.125.78.3, joe123, it works

Sound like an idea?
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds a bit like Waste, which judging by its coverage in the media (or lack thereof :wink: ) probably isn't going to rival LimeWire any time soon. That's the problem with private networks (private BT trackers aside) - they can't sustain themselves beyond a small group of people. It isn't like there is a massive community propping it up. FTP servers are the same, people have been using them for P2P for years, but it is not a threat to anyone, partly because of the inconvenience, and partly because there is only a very small group of people behind it.

pokesthelippyfish
Fsh
Fsh

I only sustain the finest... ;)
If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution.
moongirl

Articles Bot wrote:
It made headlines around the world when the Chinese government and Chinese internet service providers blocked access to Wikipedia in 2004, on the 15 year anniversary of the Tiananmen Square protests. Wikipedia was unblocked and reblocked several times over the years following, at times the blocks be...

Read more
I found it very interesting to see "The Baidu Bot" browsing here at Cricket.
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)