Merry Christmas To All & The Year That's Been

All updates to the site will be posted here.

Moderator: CricketMX Forum Moderators

battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Merry Christmas everyone, and a very Happy New Year in a few days time. Now comes a time where we say farewell to 2004 and bring on 2005! What a tremendous year this has been for everyone involved in CricketMX. First of all, this forum was made. I started looking for a webhost, jmstacey.net was who I chose to go with. This was for a few reasons, I knew he was reliable, he had once been a moderator at WinMXCommunity (Now Filebreech), he hosted Layzie's site, and a deciding factor at that stage, he was free. I was with Jon for about 3 months, unfortunately there was a lot of downtime, those who registered after March wouldn't have known this, but for the guys and gals that have been here from before March, you may remember that it was ~80% uptime. This was beyond Jon's control though, and when the time came to move on to a paid host (Canaca), it was kind of sad to see that heritage lost. The battye.jmstacey.net domain lived on for a few months, but has since been removed. The last remaining evidence of life there can be found in Googles Cache. I was making a program once and it well, didn't work and was a complete and utter failure. That's why there are so many empty forums, however since then I have made some real programs which I am very proud of.. anyway I'll get to that later. I was happy to be with Canaca, many members were as well! There was hardly ever any downtime.. well, that was until we found out about the error we love to hate, Internal Server Error 500. Many emails to Canaca have been sent to and from myself, other forumites, even other Canaca users regarding this dreaded error. It appeared they were not going to do anything about it, they simply had excuses. It was either the Ensim Control Panel wasn't working, they hadn't got the patch yet, phpBB doesn't work with the PHP version their running... anyway. Lately they have got the Ensim patch and we haven't been experiencing it! After I had bought hosting with Canaca, it felt great to own the domain. http://battye.jmstacey.net was great, but after being in the business for nearly 3 months, to have http://www.cricketmx.com was amazing, and plus, it's easier to remember. After almost 3 months of having a forum, growth was steady. We had well and truly passed the 100 member mark (Sir Tuho was #100), I think we were up to about 140 from memory. At that stage we had a tracker that Grinch was hosting, and that was bringing in many members. All the members on this site are great and I'm humbled that you all stuck with me through the errors, the downtime, the pain. You're all great :)
I had installed many MOD's by that stage (Modifications), but none as bad as the Country Flags Mod, I lost 75 posts and 1 member having to restore a recent backup. I remember being so annoyed at myself at the time, had I had the knowledge I have now, then, about phpBB, it would have been a one minute repair job. But the only way you can learn is by making mistakes, I even wrote a tutorial about how to overcome this problem if you experience. It was even added to phpBB.com's Knowledge Base. You can view the article here.
Since then though, I have installed some of the hardest MOD's around, like the Attachment Mod. And although others don't believe so, I think that you can learn a lot about how PHP and phpBB works from the code within MOD's. I've made 3 MOD's, each has a unique history. The Average Posts Per User MOD was a simple one indeed, but as users including Bittenapple have said, it is one of the best. Not many people know about it unfortunately, but those who do like it. The Forum Updates & Announcements MOD I thought was pretty good, sure it had a few bugs here and there, but hey, everything has bugs. I know where I went wrong though, and one day I will do a 'code rehaul' and basically write it from scratch. That is once I finish my Ultimate Quiz Mod, and another secret MOD which I'm currently making :wink:
My Quiz Mod, most of you know about. It's a great quiz addon to phpBB, and has a lot of code in it. I still want to add many features like earning Cash etc, but progress is going very well.
Unfortunately, many themes are hard to update with MOD's installed. The code is so different, so I decided it was time to dump a few themes, remember Silver Xire? I don't think it got used anyway :lol: , but none-the-less they had to be removed. We had another theme that the Moderators and I had worked on though, CricketMX.com. The default theme some of you see now, most use EternalDarkness though 8)
It's terrific to have forum full of such great people. The moderators do a fantastic job, there are so many groups of 'staff' here, and you all do an unbelievable job. The CricketMX Forum Moderators; Bacon, Grinch and Quicksilver do a fantastic job, although our forum rarely ever has any problems when it comes to bad behavior, when it does happen the Mods are right on to it.
The Lyrics Team, Moon, Gers, Me, Boozy, Grinch, myself and of course Dan who made the marvelous program do a great job submitting and validating lyrics, when I look at the Admin Panel, I know there are users that are viewing the lyrics, and bringing in members to the site. You do a fantastic job.
The Tech Support Staff (Rock, Grinch, Bacon) are always helping in the support sections, your efforts are greatly appreciated.
Bacon, doing a fantastic job always making logo's and icons for themes does always puts in 110%, his images are of great quality and could be compared to any company's in my opinion.
Although not used as much any more, the web site team were always on hand in the early stages on Cmx, we had a lot of fun making new layouts, and that dreaded drop down box!
And Tune has done an awesome job sending me songs for the radio, as has anyone else that has sent me any rbs files :)
I have written a bit about the radio already which can be viewed at http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=1381 and http://forums.cricketmx.com/viewtopic.php?t=1316
Everyone, past, present, and in the future has / will have a part to do with CricketMX and its growth. We have a fantastic bunch of people, and between here, the room, Msn, we all have fun and that's what makes this site unique. There are some exciting new prospects on the horizon for CricketMX, and a great future ahead of us. Thanks to the moderators, and members of this great forum for a wonderful year 2004, I look forward to a prosperous 2005 and beyond. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas, and a wonderful new year.
Thanks everyone :)
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
tunebud
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

sure it had a few bugs here and there, but hey, everything has bugs
I have bugs :shock: :scratch: somehow I knew that :lol:

Sorry to give you a correction in your post but you did forget to mention the leading edge to this great forum.

Thanks Battye for giving us a great place to post and hang out with this bunch of wonderful people.

Thanks for all the efforts you have made to make Cricket a unique place to be.Thanks for all the time you have dedicated to the forum and to all of us.

Here is to you and everyone associated,and to many more years of posts, progress ,and Mods...
moongirl

Battye, thankyou for giving us this forum.
To Tune & all the CricketMXers, you are so special, thankyou for your knowledge and friendship :wink:
That's not the man in the moon...that's me ;)
Rat
Drain Brain
Drain Brain

Thanks battye. It's great here. Let's hope that 2005 is as great as 2004 has been.

It's Christmas Eve.... have a good time everyone.
Freggle
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

Merry Christmas here to all my friends, almost friends, people that hardly know me, people that don't know me and any webcrawler passing by.
Oh and btw.. Also a Happy Newyear and stufff... :wink:

Don't blow up your hands.. Makes it hard to write topics/posts.
p2p-sharing-rules

ThanX Battye :santa: Merry X-mas to you too & a :D Happy New Year!
Thanx for the great forum , keep up the good work!:)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks all :)
It's Christmas here in Australia now too Image
CricketMX.com in 2022: Still the home of bat's, rat's and other farmyard animals!

"OK, life [as you chose to define it] repeats until there are no more lessons to be learned." - nrnoble (June 12, 2005)
"the new forum looks awesome, it's getting bigger & better" - p2p-sharing-rules (11 Jan, 2008)
"Looks like CMX is not only getting bigger...but, also getting better!!" - moongirl (14 Dec, 2007)
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

And now it's not :(
12:01 AM, 26th December
Bring on 2005! :mrgreen:

Red XIII
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!
Sultan Ruler Of The Poles!

Well 'twas a long post, and is still Christmas here! But MERRY CHRISTMAS ANYWAYS!!! :twisted:

P.S. Battye that's a bit lengthy there :lol:
Die Verstorbenen werden wieder in einem Fluss des Bluts steigen
Bacon
Boo, or Boo-urns?
Boo, or Boo-urns?

Cheers Battye. Merry Christmas to everyone and look forward to seeing you all in 2005 :D
me here
Healing Hands
Healing Hands

Well i just want to take this little time to say to all of you my family of CricketMX that I am proud to be a part of something so possitive and great as this forum. I hope and wish for all of you to have all that you dream of in the new year come your way.
I would also like to say to Battye a HUGE thank you for this because without all your hard work and dedication to this forum we wouldnt be able to expierience all of this. I can honestly say this forum has changed my life for the better and i suspect in some way small or large it has everyone else also..

So THANKs once again Battye for you!!

:wink:
A World Dominated by WinMX
http://www.winmxworld.com/
battye
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Me :)

the docs mum
Miracle Worker
Miracle Worker

hay if anyone is reading this good luck for 2006 and up you bum folks you always get one twat going on about xmas months before the bastards but i just thought id be funny
one of the big boys told me to do it
threewing
Know-It-All
Know-It-All

And a little bastard it was indeed :P
/|\

/|\ has a strict policy concerning disclosure of identity, showing of
light sabers, affiliationado's, multiple account users, drinking buddies who
join the same community they see me visit for years, and board hoggers
(whatever that means).
The policy is: If it doesn't bother me, I don't give a flying f4ck.